Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Another Pier Question--Big Foot
Topeka
# Posted: 13 Sep 2016 17:11

Has anybody used the bigfoot for a funnel over the sonotube, added rebar and used the bigfoot funnel to form a cap?

Got pic's?

Span and cantilever limits led me to ask this.

..and thanks for the forum.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 15:12

Never seen this done, and I don't see what engineering advantage it would give you. I suppose it reduces span or cantilever a certain amount, but if you are relying on that, the lip of the cap needs to be engineered to take the weight so the lip of the cap doesn't break. Concrete is best in simple compression, such a lip would be in shear and tension, where concrete is not at all effective.

Might make a nice aesthetic detail, but I would keep the weight off the lip.

Topeka
# Posted: 25 Sep 2016 10:22

Thank you bldinsp.

I don't know why they do this--different trade, Klein linesman and screwdriver here. I see caps in commercial jobs. The columns hold up concrete--not wood. And I think it's monolithic.

I'm comparing apples to oranges.

I was looking at AWC span charts and way over thinking it. Too much time on my hands. Sorry.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

This forum is really good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.