Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation help
Thelar
# Posted: 27 Oct 2016 17:03

I have a front room that was added on my camp by the previous owner. How do I insulate it if there is no way to vent air out the top? Is closed cell spray foam my only option?
Vented.jpg
Vented.jpg
Camp_front2.png
Camp_front2.png
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

NorthRick
# Posted: 27 Oct 2016 17:52

There are products out there to vent a roof where it ends at a wall. You could install one of those and then install insulation similar to if it had a ridge vent.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Oct 2016 18:03

How much R-value do you want and just how deep are those rafters?

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Oct 2016 20:20

One solution would be to put in 2x6 ceiling joists below the rafters, creating an attic space that can be ventilated with eyebrows and bird blocks. If you wish, the joists could be angled instead of level to give something of a vaulted look.

Note that they did the rafters wrong at the top plate. The notch should bear on the top plate, without any of the notch exposed inside. They can split as they are with a heavy load. If you have a lot of snow I'd consider rebuilding the roof to eliminate this problem, in which case you can redesign it for accommodating ventilation.

Thelar
# Posted: 27 Oct 2016 21:46

The rafters are 2x8 at least. They maybe 2x10s. I will have to check.

I will have to check out the products to vent at the wall.

bldginsp- those rafters always looked wrong to me. No idea how it passed inspection when it was built or the inspection I had done when I bought it. The camp is in Maine, it has held up to the snow load for 7 years now.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.