Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ceiling ideas....at my home
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 07:41

We recently re-shingled our house and I decided to remove the skylight that was in the front room and shingle over it. It had leaked and I did not want to replace it as I saw a new one as a failure point down the road. I am looking for suggestions on how to finish the inside now. I realize I will have to put some insulation in place under the plywood. I'd like to run a wire and install lights, possibly pot lights then finish it off. My problem is finishing it to make it look like it was always there. The rest of the ceiling drywall has the bumpy granular finish to it. I think it would be difficult to do the same and make it match. I am thinking about framing the former opening with wood trim or keeping the new drywall raised up inside the opening and maybe putting crown mould around. The opening is on a cathedral style ceiling and is approximately two feet wide by five feet long.
You folks are all very creative and I am wondering if anybody has done something similar or may have some suggestions for me. Any advice is appreciated.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 10:17 - Edited by: MtnDon

It is amazing what a skilled drywall installer can do for matching textures on a new piece of drywall.

Is there space enough to allow trimming the interior opening with window casing and inserting acrylic panels instead of drywalling? Then install some LED lights in there. Then you don't need new drywall. We have done that on one of our skylights. It uses a light shaft from the 5/12 pitch roof to the 2/12 sloped ceiling, so there was ample space for lighting.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 11:57

That's a good idea too Don. My wife wants to know if it would be too much trouble for you to take a picture and send it if you get a chance.

Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 13:35

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
I decided to remove the skylight that was in the front room and shingle over it.

Good move because there is only 2 type of skylights available anymore, those that leak and those that will leak.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 17:49 - Edited by: MtnDon

I would but we have not owned that house for a long time. At the time we used FL tubes. I do have a light box I built for the kitchen. It drops down about 5 inches from the ceiling and uses screw in base LED lamps. I also have one skylight shaft with an acrylic panel and trim. No lights in that shaft, just the skylight. I can do a picture or two later.

There are good skylights available.We have two Velux. Google them. But they are heat holes all the same. However in some climates it can be nice to have that can be opened to exhaust air. They also make models that open for roof access; handy on a two story building.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Nov 2016 18:49 - Edited by: MtnDon

The skylight is trimmed with painted plain casing. It is in a The small panel is at the higher end. They were leftovers from other work. The oak light box uses 4 60 watt std LED lamps in sockets I bought at the local hardware store. The box was originally built for F40 FL tubes.
skylight
skylight
light box
light box

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 13 Nov 2016 09:51

Thanks for the pics Don! I like that idea.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 16:05

Well I thought I'd update this post and show what I came up with. I know this is not my cabin but the ideas above were helpful. I decided to drywall halfway down the opening and then trim it with crown mold and door casing around the outside. I figured if it was going to look different I may as well make it stand out. We got the light at costco and really enjoy the lighting the retro bulbs give off. My wife is very happy which is all that matters.
14910770520618098832.jpg
14910770520618098832.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.