Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / HRV/ERV Ventilation for Cabin, info - feedback wanted
Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 07:36

Good Day folks,

I am looking for some type of "small" HRV (Heat Recovering Ventilator) for the cabin to bring in fresh air, recovering the heat while exhausting the humid stale air. Something low power and capable of dealing with 500 square feet that does not cost an arm & a leg.

From what I can locate, the most suitable are categorized as "Single Room HRV" but they sure seem to be hard to find in Canada but then again I have not spent a huge amount of time searching as yet.

There are a few unit's out there like this:
http://vents-us.com/cat/664/ HRV MICRA 60
http://www.aldes-international.com/en/produits/nano-air-50/ Nano-Air 50

Has anyone got experience with the little units like that for our small places ?
Ideas or Suggestions ?
Is it available IN Canada ? (that seems to be a tough nut to crack !) Many are listed for US & EU but NOT available in Canada and some can't be shipped here ? ! WTH is up with that ? Like it's some secret product with nefarious potentials ?

Thanks in advance for the feedback / input.

Possibly an easy DIY Solution somewhere ?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 08:50

have it sent to a friend in the states then ship it to you in Canada.

Sale of the produce not in Canada most likely is cause of the taxes.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 10:28

Steve:

No idea about this particular make/model (just a cursory search lead me to this), but here's one I've found:

http://lunos.ca/product/lunos-ego-room-ventilation/

Not cheap in my mind, but then again, I'm not sure what a whole-house one would cost to compare to.

Just
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 16:34

Make your own .Plans on line.

creeky
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 17:53

Panasonic has a real good unit around 400$. Erv something or other.

And home d us has a super smart knock off of a European design. It breathes. So expels hot air out then cold air in. Perfect for our climate.

I don't have model numbers as i'm traveling. And on my tablet.

If you're heating with wood. Don't forget the "open a window option." And throw on an extra log.

Of course Erv recaps humidity, so if you go for the log.window option put a pot of water on the wood stove.

Steve_S
# Posted: 16 Nov 2016 18:30

Thanks folks,

Sparky, no CSA Tag = won't cross the border.... IF I was to cross the 49th & pick it up and drive it across "maybe" but that is not an option for me.

Coldflame YEAH pricey beast indeed ! Whole House (1200 sq feet) I can buy from BMR for $600 and that Lunos is almost 1100 ! ~NOT~

Just: I have seen some plans online with heat exchange ability.... Considering that option BUT would prefer a proper unit IF the price is reasonable.

Creeky, The majority of HomeDepot US stuff cannot be shipped across. IMO that is a major Bogosity the Governments have sold us with the "free trade" which is more Humbug that reality. Opening Window & extra log sure BUT remember I have a Radiant System as primary heat, my wood stove is backup #2 and my Kerosun Heater is Backup #3.

ATM I am using the Buddy Heater to warm up the shack (temp) and that makes much humidity, obviously. My cookstove is propane, so that will release some humidity when in use and when taking a shower - well... ain't opening bathroom window in January - nope, not me.

Cold & I have an agreement, it don't like me and I don't like it - with that understanding we get along just fine.

PS: Snow Showers are forecast for us starting on Monday Creeky.... Hope your somewhere warm and the homestead is buttoned up tight.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Nov 2016 08:08

Well, a little searching and a bit of reading on DIY HRV's and boy there are a few to peruse I found this setup which may just be the ticket. The fellow built it for his 500 Square Foot office and is located in the mountains of Colorado so he get's as cold as we do and as warm in the summer...

Very interesting, not complicated nor crazy expensive either.
https://www.wildsnow.com/17884/how-to-build-air-cross-flow-heat-exchanger-budget/

creeky
# Posted: 20 Nov 2016 16:12

How'ze the floor heater doing? Is it working out? My gf has infloor. It is a treat eh.

That diy hrv is a neat system. Good for you too I would think. Low cost. Only a few dozen processes to get right. The fan noise might get to ya. Unless the decades of rock and roll have killed your high end hearing???

Moisture could be an issue. Draining the condensate from the exit pipe primarily. A small tilt in the pipe? But the closer to the exit in the winter the more likely it is to start to freeze.

The vents-US brand (these units seem to be available under different brand names so you might want to shop around) has some new awesome hrv/erv units.

Specifically the new EC motor "Micra" series. There's a 60 and a 150. The 60 would be ideal for a tiny house. The 150 for a cottage. Very low watt draws. New ECM motors.

In Canada those same units are available under different brand names. See here for a supplier.

I pointed out the "twinfresh" earlier. Available at HD or in Canada from different suppliers. This is probably the best tech in the world right now. Super high efficiency. Ideal for off grid or on grid. Plus you can team them up for bigger spaces.

Price is right too.

What I like is the low power use. The freeze fix. And self balancing.

PS. I'm back at the farm for close up for the season (I won't be f/t wintering out here this year :verysad. So I have the wood stove cookin'. Burning aspen just to keep stove temps down. And I have lots of it.

Hope yer warm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.