Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin support posts
Srollins
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 07:19

Hello all, newbie here bought 25 acres in West Virginia and starting a cabin soon, any opinions on cabin post's to support the cabin? I am a builder by trade but never built a cabin, I guess it depends how rocky the ground is? I was thinking 6x6 post's and then band the whole thing with 2x12's but something tells me 6x6's will look like a house on stilts, I want the appearance to be beefy so was thinking sonotubes and just do concrete piers? any advice out there and not only for footings and post's but any advice for this build was thinking 24x30 with loft about 3' off the ground.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 07:35

If it was me and I would sink concrete sonotube piers then run my 6x6 posts up from there. Sonotube pier much above ground don't have enough support in my opinion. Then take your siding down near ground level to hide the stilts, basically put some skirting on it.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 08:02

I'm not an expert and not advocating one solution over another, but I posted a thread a while ago about having my cottage's piers replaced. I ended up going with pier blocks. You can see the results and read some opinions in the thread here.

Srollins
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 08:13

I agree Sparky something about sonotubes above ground that doesn't appeal to me, I could always use the 6x6 sink them in concrete and wrap them with block or stone from the property to " Fatten" the appearance. Best part is the 6x6's I have came from a playground at a school I just tore down and were pretty much brand new so the material didn't cost me anything. Its looking like 6x6's is the way to go then after the cabin is up modify the look of the 6x6's to appear larger. Thanks for the reply any other advice?

Srollins
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 10:42

Thank you very much Kelvarsen, will do

sparky30_06
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 10:52

I would advise against setting the posts in the concrete. Use an anchor plate that keeps the end of the post elevated. Also make sure you have plenty of piers. It's easier to add them now then later.

DaveBell
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 11:03

Where in WV? I'm up in Hampshire County.

Srollins
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 11:16

Will do Sparky thanks, Location in WV is Richie county about 40 minutes from Parkersburg DaveBell Macfarlin area?

Srollins
# Posted: 18 Nov 2016 12:44

I think im going to go with 6x6 piers sitting on a spread footing elevated using a 6x6 post anchor that elevates the post a little so air gets under, then later install stone around the post to give the larger appearance .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.