Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Walls and floor questions
CraigK
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 18:06

I'm considering at some point purchasing a mini cabin "shell" that will need to have the interior finished. After I insulate the walls, would I finish the walls next or put the flooring in next? What's the order?
Also, I'm thinking of insulating the floors with R5 Radiant Acoustic Insulation (Silverboard). Would I need to put wood over that before I install the laminate? Or, can the laminate go right over the insulation? Thanks in advance!

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 18:46

If possible, see if you can get the floor joists made from heavier material than they usually come with, and on at least 24" centers if not 16" centers if they are less than proper for span rating, or if whatever it sits on may not be up to supporting the weight properly.

Walls are usually done first. The edges of the floor, when finished, are covered with trim. They don't have to fit perfectly against the walls.

If its open underneath, you can also insulate between the floor joists, then cover with cheap OSB to keep varmints out of the insulation.

CraigK
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 19:03 - Edited by: CraigK

The floor joists are shown as 2"x6". Thanks for the info.

Malamute
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 19:07 - Edited by: Malamute

If its going to be supported only at the edges, Id try to get taller joists so the floor isnt as bouncy. It may settle and sag some over time also.

You can google "span rating calculator" and get some idea based on how far is unsupported. You can probably get by with less than optimal, but 2x6 is a bit light.

Theres probably people here that can tell you off the top of their heads. Some pretty good people with building stuff here.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 26 Jan 2017 09:10 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Over several renovations in my city home I've either taped, foamed or run a silicone bead along the seam between the walls' drywall and the floors. Simple task that prevents air leaks and makes it harder for any bugs to live behind the baseboards.

I sure agree with strengthening the floor. Nothing worse than creaking bouncy floors.

Vapour barrier and anti-critter protection might be other considerations.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 26 Jan 2017 09:22

Been there, done that.

Absolutely walls first. Your laminate flooring will move and if you install your walls after, you could bind the laminate and create bows or popped joints.

If the product allows it, absolutely put the Silverboard underneath the floor. I installed my laminate directly on the subfloor (of course with the laminate pad between) of my cabin and the floors are freaking cold. I am assuming you are using a mini cabin on skids and as such, the airgap between the floor and ground keeps my floors quite cold. I haven't done anything about it as my cabin is used 95% in the late spring to early fall season. Nonetheless if doing it over I would certainly add some floor insulation.

creeky
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 13:52

If you're putting foam board on the floor I would suggest you use xps. It handles a higher compression load. So not only does it have higher r value per inch. but its designed for carry weight.

the silverboard will compress over time.

I put laminate directly over polyiso. and its worked out okay. I put subfloor (will eventually put cork laminate over) over xps. and that is the ticket.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jan 2017 14:51

I think the normal route is to finish ceiling, walls then flooring last.

donbell
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 23:18 - Edited by: donbell

SilveRboard insulates well by using a reflective lamination and I think it has a better efficiency for both heating and cooling.Also, finish walls and then at last flooring.It would be better.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.