Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / septic / plumbing question
Srollins
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 13:19

Happy Saturday all,

To recap I'm in the planning stages on my cabin build in West Virginia and here's one for ya,

I came across a few 275 gallon water storage totes that have a galvanized frame all the way around, my thoughts were to use one as a septic tank and bury it and basically call a company out to empty when needed, the other one use as a water collection tank basically run my down spout into it and use that rain water for toilet flushing and dish washing, I believe over a few months of sitting in the tank the water would have an odor so I wouldn't have a shower ran to that tank, it makes sense to paint the rain water tank black stopping any light from getting to the water , that apparently causes bacteria to grow, or at least that's what I was told?

So my question is for the septic , does that sound ok to simply run my black water only ( 1 toilet ) to that tank once a bury it? Seems no vent is recommended it slows the break down process .

Water tank question- other then painting it black should I do anything else? I wish there was a way to treat the rain water so we could shower with it as well however, we get very busy and visits to the cabin could be as minimal as twice a year for a long weekend or a week.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Atlincabin
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 16:52

We use a similar holding tank setup at our cabin for black water. Be sure it has a pumpout fitting (typically 4" ABS pipe) that is accessible by a pump truck (will partly depend on the length of his flexible pumpout hose). Ours is 600 gallons. We usually only flush the toilet once or twice a day (outhouse most of the time) and run dishwater into the tank. Doing this, we typically go a couple months between pumps.

For water storage, you are correct, if there is any light available, algae and other stuff will grow in the tank. I'm not sure just paint will be sufficient to keep the light out completely. Even very low light levels will allow algae growth. You may want to consider adding a bit of chlorine bleach to your water tank occasionally to keep the algae from growing. I don't recall the recipe right now, but you can google "water purification with bleach" and get info on how much bleach/gallon to use. If the water sits for a couple days or so after the bleach treatment, the chlorine will all come out and water will taste ok. It also would be fine for showering etc.

Also, worth putting a screen filter of some sort on the inlet of the tank to keep leaves, bugs, etc. out. If you are using roof runoff, it is also better to let the very first bits of water from each storm run off onto the ground if possible to minimize the amount of roof debris that gets into the filter/tank system.

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 18:27

You should contact the Ritchie County Health Dept. You have to be certified to install your own septic, and the minimum tank size is around 1000 Gallons. Fines for not having an approved permit are steep.

Srollins
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 18:29

Understood thank you for your input, I was thinking of a screen over the down spout for sure and possibly paint the tank black as well as build a small structure around it totally blocking the sunlight.

Thanks again

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Jan 2017 19:04 - Edited by: bldginsp

I agree that enclosing the water tank will help, along with painting it. Those 275 gallon tote tanks or whatever they are called are not intended for any extended sunlight exposure.

I used collected rainwater for 4-5 years before I drilled a well. The trick to keeping the water clean is to filter at the gutter, and use a first flush diverter. Atlincabin suggested this above- the way to achieve it is to set it up so that the first flush automatically is diverted away. After the roof has sat for weeks or months between rains it has dust, bird poop, and whatever else in it and if you allow the first flush into your tank the water will stink. My first flush kept the water clean without chlorine and it was a joy to shower with because it has no minerals and a slight acid balance- great stuff.

This link is to a manual on rainwater harvesting with complete instructions

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/brochures/conservation/doc/RainwaterHarvesting Manual_3rdedition.pdf.

Even if the health department will let you use a 275 gallon tank as a holding tank, remember that the tank pumper will charge you a minimum fee to show up and pump. With a larger tank you will call them far less frequently, and save a lot of money in the long run. They make plastic 1000 gallon septic tanks that could be used for holding. You have to get the strong ribbed type, otherwise, when it's empty the earth around it will crush it. You can't just bury any water tank. Also, when it rains, an empty tank can float itself right out of the ground, so it needs to be secured down somehow. A true septic tank, part of a septic system with a drainfield, always stays full of water and so won't float out.

Srollins
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 09:38

Thank you sir most def getting this.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 11:14

I'd do what BLDG said, a nice holding tank, that can also be used as a septic tank later if you do decide to add the drain field if allowed. Just lay it out in the right spot, ie plan ahead. I'd get 1000 or 1200 gallon ribbed plastic for holding tank that can have drain field added on later.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 12:09

If you have good soil, a drain field isn't that hard to do. Then you wont have to pay the pumper (piper?) for a very long time. Having a full septic system is a big relief- flush it and forget it. I don't know what they'll charge you to pump, but I bet the cost of 3-4 pumpings will cover the cost of installing a whole system.

DaveBell
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 18:46

I paid a visit to the Hampshire County Health Dept. last year. I found out that because a few idiots had sewage leaking out above ground with their DIY system, WV enacted real tough regulations and fines. What ever size septic drain field you need, they want you to have twice that size. Doesn't have to be in the same place. As a result of requiring a septic system for one person in a tiny cabin to be the size for a Small Hotel, I'm putting in a Privy.

Also there are some good discussions and ideas in here on rainwater collection. Use the Search for this site.

Srollins
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 18:02

10-4 Dave will do thank you.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 20:38

Quoting: DaveBell
What ever size septic drain field you need, they want you to have twice that size. Doesn't have to be in the same place.

I think what you are talking about here is a replacement field. All septic drainfields fail eventually, so they require that you set aside an area equal to the size of your drainfield for a replacement field once the first one fails. The second one costs nothing- it's just an area set aside for future use- makes you think about how you will lay out your property. If you have good soil and you just make a one bedroom septic system the field will be pretty small and not very expensive. But a septic is pretty much useless unless you have running water on site- won't work at a dry cabin- or, it will, but you are putting so little water in it you might as well just have a privy. But if you have running water, you are going to run it, and all that water needs to go somewhere.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.