Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Stain Sprayer?
Borrego
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 21:52

Anyone know of good stain sprayer?

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 22:20

Wouldn't any sprayer work, so long as you had a tip for the viscosity of material being shot?

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Feb 2017 09:17

I would think so, but asking at Home Depot got me an answer that even puzzled me...I was told a sprayer labeled 'For Stain' was only for deck stain, not other stains...of course I'm not sure about the wisdom of the employees there..
Just thought I'd ask here....

Steve_S
# Posted: 9 Feb 2017 09:57

Any sprayer that I marked as suitable for stain, means it can tolerate the typical chemical's that make up the stain itself. So solvents, colouring pigments etc will not block up or dissolve the sprayer. As for the Home-Depot expert... consider the source and move on.

I have used sprayer's for Staining and chem cleaning (deck wash stuff) and lesson learned, do NOT use the cheapo but you don't need expensive either. A great way to hear Quality Sailor Talk is to dump a gallon of stain into a cheapo sprayer only to have the bottom dissolve with 3/4 gallon still in it. Ohhhh let me tell ya.... not good !

Several have adjustable tips and most are plastic / nylon BUT those don't lend themselves to cleaning very well and are persnickety with keeping adjustments. Try and find one with brass tips particularly the nozzle, the stain pigment can block it up and you need to clear it with a thin wire (stripped wire twist tie like what you use for garbage bags) works best.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Feb 2017 21:22

Steve S: Thank you...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.