Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood stove question
neb
# Posted: 21 Feb 2017 21:13 - Edited by: neb

I have picture of my stove and I will be taking out the wall with the window in it. I will have a couple of studs in that wall because it is a bearing wall. I will remove the window cut a door open there and remove the plywood/tin so all that will be left is a couple of studs. My question is will I need any tin or fire barrier the couple of studs because of the stove? Right now you can see I have tin that is away from the studs etc. I want this to be open air between the stove and the addition I will be adding on to the cabin on this window side. I will extend my rafters down for a 5 foot addition. It will go down to a 7 foot celling at the outside wall of the addition.

darz5150
# Posted: 21 Feb 2017 21:52

Just an idea:
If you think you want to cover the studs, you could get some sections of single wall stove pipe. Since they have a seam down them, you could slip them around the stud, then slip the seam together. That would leave you with an air space between the pipe and the stud. You would still have to figure out some type of spacer to attach them securely.

neb
# Posted: 21 Feb 2017 22:19

That is an idea. I'm not sure I would need any thing to cover the studs. I will need to measure them from the stove but I bet they are 24 inches at the closest. When the tin and plywood are off on that wall it will be open air between the stove and the next room.

Greenland South
# Posted: 21 Feb 2017 23:24

That appears to be an uncertified appliance. Does it have a label listing clearances to combustibles? If not, any combustibles need to be at least 48" from the stove (sides, back, front and corner) and 60" to the ceiling, unless properly shielded. Firewood is also supposed to stored a minimum of 60" from a wood burning appliance.

neb
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 09:49

Thanks. I got everything taken care of.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 26 Feb 2017 22:42

In lieu of covering studs , I would try to find some used steel pipes that are used for basement supports and could paint then to match interior if you only need a couple.

neb
# Posted: 27 Feb 2017 11:44

That is a great idea! I do believe I will eliminate the few studs and install a 5x4 header across that span and should be good to go. I also may use that same 5x4 with a support in the middle and of course it would be supported on both ends.

Thanks Sir for the idea.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.