Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How Far to Space 4 way Dek Blocks
wilco_eric
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 15:50

anyone have any info on how far one should space the 4 way concrete dek blocks? i can't seem to find how many you used on this site for the 8 x 12 cabin. it appears that you did all 4 corners and 1 on each side. what about under the main floor, not just the perimeter?
thanks so much!

Rob_O
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 19:25

Unless you are using 2x4s as floor joists, you shouldn't need support in the center

wilco_eric
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 20:42

what if the cabin size is slightly bigger say 16 X 16?
thanks!

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 21:01

16x16 is more than slightly bigger. It would still be possible to build a 16x16 and not require a center beam. The beams and floor joists just need to be sized appropriately.

However, it's my personal opinion that placing anything much larger than a 8x12 on Dek Blocks is not a good idea. Depending on the type of soil and the depth of frost that could even be a bad idea. For example, I have a small shed up in the mountains where the soil freezes down a couple feet in an average winter. It sits on blocks that basically just sit on the surface. Even though the soil is quite well drained the ground moves just enough when it freezes that if the door fit a tightly as the cabin door it would bind badly.

There are ways to build a foundation without digging deep holes for footings and piers or stem walls, but it still involves some digging and filling with crushed stone. Sometimes foam insulation is used, as in a frost protected shallow foundation. Almost as much work as digging deep holes though.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.