Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ecosmart Hot Water heater advice.
Kev
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 15:51

I am looking into getting one of the Ecosmart hot water heaters. We have a 20x40 cabin with 1 bath in the south. It'll have shower (no tub), bath sink, kitchen sink, washing machine, and dishwasher. I get insanely confused with the graphs and diagrams that ecosmart has for their heaters. Could I get away with the Ecosmart 11 or do I need to get the Ecosmart 18? Thanks for the advice beforehand.

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 15:57 - Edited by: bldginsp

It's all about btus. The smaller heaters in the 30,000 btu range can only handle one use at a time- so, so long as you tell everyone not to use two hot water fixtures at once it will work. You need to get up to 70,000 btus before the heater has enough guts to supply hot water for two uses at once, probably 130,000-150,000 for three uses. A 200,000 is assumed to handle a single family house with several bathrooms.

I see they are electric and rated by kw not btus like gas heaters. I don't know, but I bet the smallest unit will only handle one use at a time. How well the 11 would handle two uses at once I don't know.

Don't skimp on the wire you use when you install it. I'd oversize the wire to be on the safe side. Those things use A LOT of electricity for a short time, but long enough to burn the wires up if undersized.

Kev
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 16:05 - Edited by: Kev

Quoting: bldginsp
It's all about btus. The smaller heaters in the 30,000 btu range can only handle one use at a time- so, so long as you tell everyone not to use two hot water fixtures at once it will work. You need to get up to 70,000 btus before the heater has enough guts to supply hot water for two uses at once, probably 130,000-150,000 for three uses. A 200,000 is assumed to handle a single family house with several bathrooms.

Ecosmart water heaters are electric not gas.

Edit: oops. didnt see the other part of your post. lol

Kev
# Posted: 13 Mar 2017 16:11

Quoting: bldginsp
Don't skimp on the wire you use when you install it. I'd oversize the wire to be on the safe side. Those things use A LOT of electricity for a short time, but long enough to burn the wires up if undersized.

Yea, Im going to use 8 gauge wire on it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.