Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pumping from lake
Islandlife
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 07:51

I need advice on setting up a system to pump water from a lake. We are off grid and have a generator but do not want it to run all day.

At our last cottage we used a gas water pump to get lake water from the lake to a barrel up a hill. It then ran to the cottage, a 12 volt pump, ecotemp L10 and to our sink.

This worked well but since I am starting with nothing I am wondering if there is a 12 volt submersible pump that I could use with a pressure tank and small Solar panel, battery and charger controller to eliminate the holding tank. I don't like the idea of lake water sitting stagnant for weeks at a time in really warm weather.

This is for 3 season use. I am guessing it would be a 50-75' distance (Lake to sink, bathroom) and maybe 20-30' rise over that distance. I am a bad judge of distance though so this may be off.

I could always just empty the tank when we leave but thought I would check to see what others have done.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 08:19

I don't see why you couldn't just put an intake line into the lake, use a 12V pump (with battery, solar panel etc.) in a box right at the lakeshore. Many pumps will suck water up from a few feet. Of course I would house the pump in something weather-resistant or weatherproof unless it is designed to be outside.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 09:11 - Edited by: Littlecooner

Some of the 12v RV pumps are self priming for a few feet of lift and cost less than $ 100. sounds like an option to research. See the attached blog on RV pumps. Sounds like a simple, not very expensive way to set it at the lake edge and pump and why install a tank, just do "on demand".

http://blog.rvshare.com/12v-rv-water-pump/

Islandlife
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 16:22

Thanks for you replies.

I have a flojet pump that I bought with an Eco temp hot water heater. I will have to try out the pump at the edge of the lake. I am not sure if it will be strong enough to give us enough pressure for the water heater and sinks at the cottage

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 19:39

If you have good rainfall, you could catch the water from your roof and then its simple to pump into the cabin. No need to lift it from the lake.

Islandlife
# Posted: 30 Mar 2017 18:32

Thanks Ontario Lakeside I had not thought of that. I am sure that would keep the tank full considering our low needs.

creeky
# Posted: 1 Apr 2017 11:04

Or you could pump to a holding tank barrel above.by the cottage. Use the flow
Jet from there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.