Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rubber P-trap?
Asher
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 10:20

I liked the idea of installing a rubber p-trap in the shower drain to allow for freezing, but I have only come across rubber p-traps in max diameter of 1.5", that seems a little small for a shower drain. The other thing I didn't like is that I have to neck down the sch 40 drain pipe down to thin wall so the rubber p-trap will fit and then neck it back up to fit the rest of the drain pipe.

I have three options:
1-use the 1.5" pipe and hope it's good enough.

2-go with a standard sch 40 pipe set up and add anti-freeze every time before we leave.

3-think outside of the box and head over to the auto parts store and see if I can find a 2" p-trap shaped radiator hose.

I really didn't want to go with option 2 because I hate the idea of pouring anti-freeze (even the bio stuff) into the septic system.

Okie
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 10:53

I think the 1.5" will work fine. It is used in kitchen sinks. While you're under there you could install a fitting with a convenient clean out plug. You could also use a strainer over the drain.

Steve961
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 11:39

I use HEPVO waterless P-traps at my cabin to avoid water freezing problems.

HEPVO Waterless P-trap

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 15:16

It's best, and code required, to use 2" for shower traps and drains because they get so much soap scum.

RV antifreeze is not bad for your septic, and it's very cheap if you shop around. It's propylene glycol which is edible and will degrade.

The waterless traps like Hepvo have an air bladder that makes the trap. They work well but may eventually fail like anything mechanical. Make sure you have easy access to repair/clean/replace.

Asher
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 18:30

Thinking I might stop over at the auto parts store and take a look at the 2-2.5" molded radiator hoses.. If nothing sparks my interest I will probably go PVC...

Thanks guys...

bldginsp
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 21:09

Radiator hose sounds workable, if you can connect it to the ABS adequately. 4" is the magic number with traps- you want to trap a depth of 4 inches of water. If it works out send a pic

Popeye
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 16:44 - Edited by: Popeye

After thawing my trap too many times this winter (forgot to add RV antifreeze before going to bed), I installed a 2" SCH 40 PVC trap with a cleanout. I removed the plug and threaded in a 3/4" coupling. I then ran a pipe a couple feet below ground level. I drilled a 1/4" hole into a cap and capped the pipe. There is also a valve in the line so I can keep water in the trap if I want to.

The pipe fills with the clean water while letting the shower warm up. Since the 3/4" pipe can't drain quick enough, nearly all of the water while showering continues through the trap and into septic. Once the shower is turned off, the trap is drained via the 3/4" pipe.

My septic tank is buried 50 feet from the shower and I don't get any sewer gases in the winter. If I did, I would cover the drain in the shower. It also helps that my soil is nearly pure sand with the exception of the top inch or two. If you don't have sandy soil, you could always create a French drain to take the little bit of water or collect it in a bucket.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.