Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Crushed limestone foundation... good enough?
MI drew
# Posted: 6 Apr 2017 21:28 - Edited by: MI drew

Hello all.

Well I have not posted in a while since my original build. Have some questions that hopefully I can get answers too before I move forward with adding on to my cabin. First off let me tell you how it's built.

The foundation is at least 8-10" of crushed limestone that was leveled and packed. I have had no issues with moisture or water since the original build. The cabin is built on 4x6 skids, then 1/2 treated plywood, 2x4 treated floor hoists, and then 3/4 dry-ply tongue/grove for the floor. The floor is also insulated with R-13. I am now looking to expand in a few years and want to plan correctly. Looking to add 16x20 off both sides and 10x12 off the rear. The question I have is if crushed limestone will be good enough to cover my additions? Or am I just fooling myself? I have the plans drawn up accounting for plumbing, etc. At this point do I just leave my current cabin alone and make it a guest bunk house... then plan a true cabin (1000sqft) built on a crawl, etc. Or if I add on to the existing will my structure last for years to come? I could also build a crawl or post/pier and have the existing cabin moved on to it.

Thanks for any advice! Appreciate it up front.
20160717_091941.jpg
20160717_091941.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Apr 2017 08:23

A lot depends on where you are and whether frost heave is a big issue where you are.

But in general, a skid-on-gravel foundation will last the shortest length of time, piers longer and perimeter footing longest. If you want to able to use the place in 30 years, I'd leave the cabin as is and build the 1000 sq ft on a perimeter. Otherwise go the easier route. There is no easy, cheap, long lasting foundation.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.