Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Advice on the pros/cons of buying used windows?
Jabberwocky
# Posted: 18 Apr 2017 17:49

Guys, I need some help. We have reached a point in our project where we really need to get some windows purchased so we can get going on the framing (don't know what openings to frame until we know what windows are going in).

We found a deal on craigslist for some cheap used single hung, double paned windows that are the perfect size, however judging from the photos they look pretty worse for wear. I know at least two of the panes are broken and will need replacing.

My question is, what are the drawbacks of going this route? I don't have any experience purchasing windows. Are all double paned windows filled with gas? Is there a likelihood of them condensing moisture in-between the panes being that they've been in-and-out of a house and stored outside?

Any advice is appreciated

Just
# Posted: 18 Apr 2017 17:59

Ether get them free or buy new. Buy standard size not custom. even free used ones if they are not standard size can be pricy if they don't last and you must replace them .

Eddy G
# Posted: 18 Apr 2017 18:58

We've had a lot luck with the habitat for humanity Restore.
There are 6 to 8 of them in our are (with in 50 miles or so).
I got 3 new Anderson windows 400 series for less than the price of 1....
I bought 1 used Andersen for $50 in excellent condition (brown trim but its on the side of the cabin and when I replace 1 other window over there I'm try and find a brown one.

They have stuff come and go really fast and have to keep checking. I call every now and then and have made a few key friends that let me know if something I'm looking for comes in.

We've got some great deals on ceramic tile, sinks, stair treads, paint, furniture, tools, you name it they seam to get it.

I do notice prices vary widely so don't be afraid to ask for a better one...I try not to abuse that because its a great cause and the prices are great 90% of the time but every once and a while its worth asking.

paulz
# Posted: 18 Apr 2017 19:46

I bought all used double pain windows for my cabin from a guy that was remodeling his house. One of them became foggy on me after purchase and storage, only apparently it's not fog. If the seal is broken between the two pains moisture gets in and when it dries out it leaves the dry film behind. At least that's what I remember when I checked into it. Mine are old Home Depot windows, no longer made. You can cut the sealer between the panes, take it apart, clean the glass and reseal. That's on my list, project #645.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 07:04

I used all used windows for my camp and am very happy with them. Only one door was purchased new because of time and got that on a good sale. Time can become an issue though
MacBeth_Sept_013.JPG
MacBeth_Sept_013.JPG

Kamn
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 08:04

If you have a window manufacturer anywhere near you (look up window suppliers online), you can go in and ask if they have seconds and returns for sale. They always have a stack of windows in the back that were the wrong size ordered or made to incorrect measurements or wrong colour....you get them cheaper than new and they aren't second hand

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 08:43

Thanks for the tips guys. So replacing broken panes isn't a big deal then? For a glass shop I mean? My biggest concern is what Paulz mentioned - the moisture and subsequent haze that accumulates in-between the panes.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 08:54

I purchased Used Windows being pulled from the military houses being renovated. They were all Vinyl Windows with thermal panes and only cost me between $25 (small windows) and $50 for a 5x5. Doors I bought new because I wanted something specific and sized as I wanted.

Trick was to look carefully at the glass for fogginess or indications of moisture between panes. Next made sure all the PVC & Vinyl was undamaged and everything slide smoothly, and mechanisms worked... Those really pesky "weather strips" should be checked, often they cannot be replaced / repaired. Out of 12 Windows I got 2 duds BUT that was because I transported them wrong and popped the glass seals... luckily they were 2 small windows which I took apart and made 1 good (fortunately the windows were identical).

Dunno if this will help but it pays to make sure everything is working, the frames are not damaged in anyway and that the parts which can be a problem are all in good condition. Often, the metal / plastic strip between the glass is Date Coded from when the window was made but I don't know if that is universal or not...

Littlecooner
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 09:39 - Edited by: Littlecooner

I love shopping the "used building supply" stores. You can find new windows, never installed at huge discount. Stuff left over from huge construction projects, factory seconds, etc. just ask why each window is here. I have this 4' x 6' top of the line (gas filled void and coated exterior glass) that I put in my cabin, cost $ 50. It was a left over from a commercial project in Florida and I think it is the hurricane resistant glass. Shop long and hard, stockpile what you need and great prices and just keep walking on all the rest.

bobrok
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 19:03

FWIW I replaced all 6 windows at my camp with findings on cl. It took me about a year of searching, but I wasn't in a big hurry. They came available over a period of time from 3 different sources. I drove out, inspected, and made the purchases of all before I spent a weekend replacing all six at once.
Some were pretty filthy when I bought them, but they were all intact and the filthiness allowed me to negotiate a great price.
Bought 6 vinyl replacement windows, double hung, double pane, spent $210 total.

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 20 Apr 2017 09:28 - Edited by: Jabberwocky

Welp, it's settled - NO windows across the front!

Why? Because we found a steal of a deal on craigslist yesterday. We landed a HUGE 7' x 8' solid wood sliding glass door made by Pella, slightly used, (probably $4 - 5K new) along with two matching sets of French doors for a total price of $480.00 and the cost of a 4 hour round-trip.

So instead of windows, were are going to have three sets of large glass openings to walk in and out of rather than, well... climb in and out of I suppose.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Apr 2017 18:06 - Edited by: bldginsp

When double pane windows first came out they were notorious for fogging up as the seals failed. They've gotten a lot better since, but the major window manufacturers like Marvin and Andersen still have full time employees and trucks dedicated to replacing warranted glass. You will eventually have some failure. The older the windows are when you get them the closer that day is.

But replacing the glass is not to difficult, but it will be a bit pricey. All glazed frames have some means of removing and replacing the glass. Any decent glass shop can make a new piece for you. Carefully measure the inside space in which the glass fits and give that to the glass maker. Be sure he knows it's the HOLE size, not the GLASS size. The glass has to be slightly smaller so it fits.

Not all double pane has gas inside (other than air), you can order it any way you want. If the old glass was installed with caulk it may be glued in, making it hard to remove. Best thing to do is break it and work it out/off from there.

Years ago I found 4 aluminum framed windows on craigslist for $200. I got them, and they were going to be my cabin windows. By as the time drew near, I decided not to use them and get new. Aluminum windows conduct heat straight out of the building and look lousy. Windows are one of the main features of any building, so if possible it makes a big difference to get what will look good and function well. If you can find that used, great, but you are very limited on sizes and features with used windows. I spent $4000 on six Andersen wood framed double hungs with fancy argon filled glass and nice screens. They look nice and insulate well, glad I did it. I'll use the aluminum windows on a little enclosed gazebo I have planned. But then, when the time comes, maybe I'll get something better like I did the first time.

Borrego
# Posted: 20 Apr 2017 21:35

I would (and have) just get brand new windows....they are so inexpensive nowadays it doesn't make any sense to me to go any other way..... Unless you have lots of extra bucks or are looking for a particular type of window, like wood.....
My .02

Jim in NB
# Posted: 21 Apr 2017 07:39

Great for you finding those doors! Looking forward to seeing pics once you get them installed.

gunslinger22
# Posted: 23 Apr 2017 13:01

Say you find windows that are in great shape and for a great deal, this is all well and good, but then people end up building their cabin around the windows, which is odd. It can be necessary though depending on your budget. We got all the windows and doors for our cabin second hand or for large discounts and man did it save us a lot of money...but our windows are a tiny bit gooofy because of it. I don't care, but some do, it's up to you.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 2 May 2017 22:48

Thought I'd toss into the conversation, that you might have dodged a bullet with the wood doors. In our cabin we have a mix of old wood windows & newer vinyl windows. The local critters love to chew the vinyl, something about salts used in processing it. All the old windows, are functional (but needing some new paint) but the new ones are all horribly chewed up. I think your "wall of glass doors" will be lovely!

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 3 May 2017 09:28

moneypitfeeder

Thanks! It looks like they are going to work well. I still need around 4 windows for the sides and so I'm still searching. They will be a lot smaller so it should be an easier hunt. I've never been a fan of vinyl windows, and not the first time I've heard of your issue. I'm looking for aluminum or wood windows; I'll only go vinyl as a last resort.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 4 May 2017 00:40

Hi Jabberwocky, if you are still looking for smaller windows for other areas, if possible, I'd shy away from aluminum. Don't know if you have the same theft issues in your area, but where my cabin is, they are a target. (which really is a shame, they'd be easier to maintain for a partial use situation)

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 4 May 2017 08:37

moneypitfeeder

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized they're an issue with theft. What's the reason for that?

Anyway, it's settled regardless. Yesterday we ordered three more windows from a local lumber supplier. Three 3x3 aluminum windows in bronze finish. Saved a few bucks compared to the equivalents from Home Depot. They were $96 each tax included. We have found miscellaneous windows on Craigslist but none that were perfect for our application, and I grew tired of waiting.

At any rate, I'm not concerned with the theft problem for this project. I am located just outside of any city limits southwest of Oklahoma City. In a semi-rural neighborhood actually. The project is a 700 sq ft. apartment built inside a pole barn. It's not a cabin out in the middle of nowhere, which I'd love to have someday

I will start my own build thread once I am a little further along and have the time. Carpentry will start soon and things will really get rolling. Up until now things have progressed too slowly to warrant my own project thread. Thanks for the advice!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 4 May 2017 08:47 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Quoting: paulz
... are old Home Depot windows, no longer made. You can cut the sealer between the panes, take it apart, clean the glass and reseal. That's on my list, project #645.

Just get a new sealed unit (glass only) made to fit. That's my plan for our cabin's old wood framed double pane windows. Ours just have a wood separation and we used to pull the panes and clean them. It's not worth the effort.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 9 May 2017 01:01

Hi Jabberwocky, It doesn't sound like you'll have much issue with the aluminum. Its more in a remote cabin instance where people can "take" the aluminum for the money they get to recycle (similar to copper theft). If the area you are in doesn't have much copper theft (plus you aren't as remote), you probably will not ever have an issue with it. Good luck on your work, I hope you are happy with the end result!

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 9 May 2017 09:25

moneypitfeeder

Ohhhh... gotcha. At first I was under the impression that aluminum windows were easier to break into somehow. I didn't realize you meant that the windows themselves were what the thieves wanted LOL. Yeah, no worries there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.