Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Attaching Framing to Piers
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 10:13

Hello All. I'm looking for a little advice on framing around my piers. My cabin is on piers on a slope. I had my piers replaced last year with pier blocks. The blocks have rebar and are filled with concrete. I use underneath my cottage for storage of ladders, kayaks, canoes, etc. I'd like to cover the openings with something mostly so we don't have to look at what is stored there. I was considering lattice in order to keep ventilation, but I'm also thinking about something sturdier that could have locked doors.

I'm not sure the best way to build the framing. Do you think that using tapcons to secure some framing into the block would damage the integrity of the blocks? It is in a fairly northern location so I'd be worried about moisture penetration and freeze/thaw also. Would I be better off to put some studs/posts in near the piers and anchor them to the ground so that they don't touch the piers?

I've uploaded a photo. Sorry about the finger in the pic.
Piers and Lattice
Piers and Lattice

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 14:51

Tapcons or any bolt/expansion bolt would be fine so long as placed in the center, not near the edge. It's always best to keep wood out of the dirt where possible. I'd bolt PT 2x6 across the bottom, 6" above dirt, and frame up from there. From the 2x6 to the dirt screw in old metal roofing to keep the critters out

FishHog
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 15:05

What about using a construction adhesive PL to avoid the need to drill. bldginsp is probably right a that a tapcon will be fine, but I would have the same concern.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 19 Apr 2017 15:39

Thanks guys. I did think about using PL adhesive. I guess the other benefit of that would be that it wouldn't add any additional points of entry for moisture. If I'm just doing some lightweight lattice then weight shouldn't be an issue. bldginsp I do have some old metal roofing for "critter guard".

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.