Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Construction Advice
claypat11
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 15:23

I live this site! Wanted to ask you for some advice. My brother and I are getting ready to build a cabin on some property of ours in Central Texas. We are looking for an "A to Z" (and I mean in Laymen's terms) book or video that we can use to build a cabin. It will be the first "structure" that we have built and want to do it right the first time.

Please recommend any resources that we can use through out the building process.

Thank you in advance.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 15:47

How big of a structure are you looking to build? the reason I ask is there are some shed building books that are good for small structures that will point out the basics and send you in the right direction in terms of the structural part, two that I own are "black & decker contemporary sheds" and "Taunton's Building a shed". I also found useful a general house building book that takes it a little further in called " habitat for humanity, how to build a house" this book will get a little more detailed prob than what you will need, but lots of good info, and lastly, something that will come in very handy is a series of framing books from that go into detail that will be very handy "Tauntons framing floors, walls, and ceilings" and "Tauntons framing roofs" this will get you started

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 15:48

all of the books I purchased at HomeDepot

claypat11
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 16:19

Looking to build a fairly small structure.... Maybe 14x14. I will look into those books. Thanks for responding! I will check out Home Depot tomorrow.

fpw
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 18:16

Depends...

Timber Frame = Jack Solbon's Books
Log Cabin = Alan Mackey's Books & Videos

Straw bale, cordwood, dovetail...all have specific books.

Depends on the building method.

Jon

MtnDon
# Posted: 1 Jan 2011 22:43

House Framing by John Wagner
Amazon Book Link

claypat11
# Posted: 2 Jan 2011 01:47

Thanks for the tips and resources...

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 17 Jan 2011 15:11

Do a bunch of research. I found that there were lots of great books and ideas out there and you can "borrow" the items you like best to modify things and meet your personal needs. Have fun planning, have fun building and then continue with years of enjoyment from your hard labor! Best of luck.
Not done yet but enjoying it!
Not done yet but enjoying it!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jan 2011 22:37

I might add, be picky on plump/level/square. Any deviation from anything but perfectly plumb, level and square will cost you 10 fold as you get to the finished stages and really slow down the building process, by much more time that one would think he would of saved by not making it perfectly plumb, level and square. And simple things like 16" OC means exactly 16" OC, or plywood fitment is hampered also. Somebody may say you are being too picky, they have no idea the trouble that can result from a shoddy beginning.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 01:59

I found this thread after searching for books to read in preperation for my build.

Are there other good books you would recommend?

Nathan - Taunton's Building a shed lloks good. Thanks for posting about it.

I'm planning a 20 x 20 foot, on a skid, open floor plan, no loft, no electric, no water or sewer, septic.

Looking for a basic book to help guide. I have purchased plans but will customizing them.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.