Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What size pex water lines?
Norsky
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 19:27

So we will have a 45 gallon storage tank hooked up to a shurflo 110v pump going to a small 6-10 gallon water heater. Kitchen sink, shower, toilet, bathroom sink are all within 8 feet of the pump. Do We need different size water lines or can we
go with 1/2 inch throughout?
You guys were great help with the waste/vent lines and we got 80% of that installed last weekend so thank you!
Line illustration
Line illustration

FishHog
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 20:37

I'm similar and 1/2" works great for me

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 21:35

Usually supply from service to house is 1", main trunks in house is 3/4" ie in and out of hot water and everything coming off those is 1/2"

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 22:28

Yep, 1/2" is fine.....

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Apr 2017 23:06

I'd use 3/4 for the trunk lines and 1/2 for the branches. That will reduce pressure drop when two fixtures are used at once.

Norsky
# Posted: 25 Apr 2017 06:19

Sounds like it's a simple "good, better, or best" decision which is good to know. Thanks.

Malamute
# Posted: 25 Apr 2017 23:42

I believe the normal practice is 2 fixtures on a 1/2" line, any more get 3/4" line. If its a small place and no more than 2 things would be running at once, 1/2" may be enough for your use. Not sure what the price difference is, but its relatively easy to size it correctly at first than be frustrated and wish to change it later.

Norsky
# Posted: 26 Apr 2017 08:41

Is there any concern about the sureflo pump and the larger 3/4 trunk line? I don't want to overwork it.

FishHog
# Posted: 26 Apr 2017 08:55

Quoting: Norsky
Is there any concern about the sureflo pump and the larger 3/4 trunk line? I don't want to overwork it.

No, it just runs until it builds pressure. once your lines are full won't make any difference. But if your running more than one water source at a time, it might not give satisfactory volume of water. Check the gpm rating on your pump. that is all you will get no matter how large your supply lines are.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Apr 2017 23:44

The 1/2" lines will strain the pump more than the 3/4, because smaller lines have more resistance. My water source is a storage tank up hill that delivers only about 16-18 lbs pressure. I'm using 1" poly trunk line and 3/4" copper for all branch lines because the larger size will give me better flow at lower pressure. 3/4 pex is probably not much more expensive, particularly with a small system. I'd go with 3/4 throughout just to make it simple and ensure good water flow.

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Apr 2017 13:09

bldginsp, is technically correct. but with 8' runs, it so minimal it won't affect the pump. 3/4 throughout is certainly a good option, but my 1/2" system with a 12' run and a 20' run works absolutely fine. I think were splitting hairs. IMO.

Norsky
# Posted: 28 Apr 2017 13:39

Well that's good. I bought the fittings yesterday and we are going with the 1/2". We have dry camped with an RV on the land for 10 years and are pretty skilled at water conservation so I think it will suit our needs.
Just want to thank everyone that weighed in on the issue- we'll let you know how it goes.

bldginsp
# Posted: 28 Apr 2017 20:39

Quoting: FishHog
I think were splitting hairs. IMO.

What people don't understand about building inspectors is that we ENJOY splitting hairs.

I think they are right- you'll be fine with 1/2"- but you won't have bragging rights that you went the extra bit.

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Apr 2017 11:04

Quoting: bldginsp
What people don't understand about building inspectors is that we ENJOY splitting hairs

there in nothing wrong with that. I like to get all opinions and make and educated decision. Most things I overbuild and go with the best quality, but sometimes good enough is just that.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 May 2017 17:10

Quoting: bldginsp
I think they are right- you'll be fine with 1/2"- but you won't have bragging rights that you went the extra bit.

And the cost of 3/4" main trunk and 1/2" to each fixture cost is minimal and not even worth is. Think of it as tripping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.