Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior/Interior Log stain
Murphy
# Posted: 30 Apr 2017 09:06

Hi

Our cabin was partially painted with water base paint/stain....not exactly what I would have done...plus its only partially painted, they didnt complete the job.

Is there a way to transition to an oil base stain/finish without stripping the old paint?

Also the inside is lightly varnished...almost natural..do they make a darker finish we can put over the top?....its a very light coat right now...almost non existent.

Thanks!

Murphy
# Posted: 30 Apr 2017 09:10

Pics
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
88881.jpg
88881.jpg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Apr 2017 17:37

We use Perma-Chink products exclusively on our log cabin. They are experts in log care and will be able to give you advice on how to move forward.

Murphy
# Posted: 3 May 2017 22:05 - Edited by: Murphy

What did they use to get the logs to look this way?
Way rustic look...almost black.
he1200.jpg
he1200.jpg

Smawgunner
# Posted: 4 May 2017 10:50

We used Symphony from Sashco on our interior logs. What an excellent product! I highly recommend their stuff. http://www.sashco.com/log-home/

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 4 May 2017 17:06

Waste motor oil?

Murphy
# Posted: 4 May 2017 20:23

Thanks for the info!

Your right...it looks like a railroad tie almost.
Guess they used whatever was available...
This cabin was part of the J P Morgan estate thats for sale.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 4 May 2017 21:11

YW. Did more research it could be this also. http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/treatwood/creosote.html
Either way removing it would be very unhealthy and as far as my thinking goes the logs are ruined and chemicals have leached into the ground over the many years also causing a health hazard.
Very sad.

NorthRick
# Posted: 5 May 2017 13:31

Quoting: Murphy
What did they use to get the logs to look this way?Way rustic look...almost black.

From the photo it almost looks like there is no finish and the black is mold/mildew. I say that because it doesn't look like they peeled the logs. Looks to me like areas where the bark fell off are black, other areas still have bark are not black.

Just
# Posted: 5 May 2017 20:25

I would bet lynseed oil ,common years ago.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 6 May 2017 21:36

Linseed oil mixed with diesel was common as a cheap log finish many years ago. Talk about a flammable mixture!
I used Osmo on the interior of our cabin. A lot of work putting it on, but looks nice and is environmentally friendly. A friend did similarly 20 years ago and his logs look like new on the inside.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.