Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Adding on to the shack have a question
neb
# Posted: 13 May 2017 20:26

I am adding a 10'x5' addition on my shack. I will just extend rafters down to about 7 feet from end of existing rafters.

Here is the question I have 3 10" circumference poles buried all on the long end for foundation. In the middle I have joists every 2 feet and I want to place three more poles for support.

Three are buried the other three I want to place them on top of three cement pads which will lay on top of ground. Poles will set on them and then nailed to the joist.

Do you see any problems doing this way?

Gary O
# Posted: 13 May 2017 20:55

I'm not getting the total picture, but

building on cement pads is what I do
4x4s ever two feet
2x6s on those

Hasn't been a prob since '05
no movement
no ice heave
nothin'

neb
# Posted: 13 May 2017 21:06

Thanks Gary O! That is a great picture and I did follow that build of ours.

Ya back to the explanation of that question. I have buried 3 10" poles already on the long edge but want to add a little more support on these 5 feet long joists. They are short runs but thought I would just add three more at about 2.5 feet midway. Not even sure I would need them because they are so short. Mixing both ways for the foundation wouldn't be a problem would it??? Buried and setting on cement pads laying on top of ground.

I hope that makes more sense. Lol

Gary O
# Posted: 13 May 2017 21:21

It does
shoot, 5x10 measures a ton of forgiveness
Yeah, more is better
I did put cross members in my floor/foundation scheme
keeps things tight

it'd be good to see pics when you have them

neb
# Posted: 13 May 2017 22:06

Thanks Gary O

Gary O
# Posted: 13 May 2017 22:15

My pleasure

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.