Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Definition of "accessory building"
adamclay
# Posted: 5 Jan 2011 23:52 - Edited by: adamclay

The zoning in our area allows a building of up to 270 square feet without a permit, for accessory buildings only. Does anyone here know the definition of an accessory building, and what the technicalities are?

We want to build an 11x24 cabin to avoid a permit. The cabin will not have any electricity hookups, but we would like to have a small well/septic tank on the property, which we could hook up to the "shed"/cabin if needed.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to approach this? Basically it's going to be a shed... with a loft and bed in it. Wood stove.... sink, toilet, shower. We have decided NOT to put propane in it, we are just going to use candles for light, and the wood stove for cooking/heat.

Can we get away with calling it an accessory building? We really want simple plumbing/running water in it... we do not want to use a composting toilet or carry our water in

hattie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2011 12:06

If you want to hook up a septic system to the "shed" and have a loft with a bed in it, also a sink, toilet and shower, then it isn't a "shed" - it is a residence. I would be very careful to check into this before you do anything. You will have to conform to the BC building codes regardless if it is an accessory building or not. Also, you can't have an "accessory" building without having a "principal" building. "Accessory" means accessory or subordinate to principal. Many areas also have height restrictions for accessory buildings, so you will need to make sure to observe those regulations (regarding the loft idea you have).

If you are going to put in a well and septic, there are very strict rules you must follow to install them. If at some time in the future, you want to put in an additional building, be forewarned that (in our area of BC) you can't hook more than one building up to the septic system.

We live in RDOS (Regional District of Okanagan/Similkameen) and hubby looked up the definition of accessory building for here. Even within this one district, it was different in area A and area H, so you will have to consult with your local government to find out the rules. What we did understand from the rules is that you can't have an accessory building without first having a principal building.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 17 Jan 2011 00:47

I went into the building department and told them I was going to cut down some trees on my property and stack up a small building to store some things in. They said "oh, you are building a pole barn". The requirement was a sketch to show proper set backs and a $5.00 building permit with no inspections at all because I didn't have any power or water. I didn't tell them I was going to store myself inside the structure and they didn't ask.
my 24 x 14' cabin
my 24 x 14' cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.