Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Epoxy floor coverings
sparky30_06
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 08:57

Has anyone used the Epoxy floor kits they use to cover concrete on plywood floors?? Trying to come up with a durable floor covering. While wondering around the store I saw the epoxy garage coating kit and started thinking.

NorthRick
# Posted: 4 Jul 2017 12:08

We used a flooring paint that was designed for commercial applications (from Sherwin-Williams). Went down like paint and has held up well. Expensive, but not as expensive as the epoxy products.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 12:05

I do epoxy flooring at work as my preferred surface for the flooring. Main trick is to apply it to a rough finish. You don't want to apply it to anything that will wick moisture up or flex. the coating will fail. Otherwise its very durable and easy to clean.
Not sure I would do it on a wood floor. Those cheap kits really don't cover much. Done correctly you put down multiple layers. We do 3-5 layers with last layer being urethane. The epoxy is dull so last layer is a urethane that gives it gloss.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 5 Jul 2017 14:43

Interior or exterior project?

I have used Gaco products for exterior jobs for years and have had great results with them. The decking line is made to go over plywood. It has to be a ABX grade if I remember correctly. (A means grade A on one side, B means grade B on the opposite side, X means exterior application). You also have to use Alex 230 caulking on the joints of the plywood and where you have flashing.

https://gaco.com/solutions/decking/

They make a slew of stuff as you can see from poking around their web site.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 06:40

It's for indoors in my hunting shack

creeky
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 08:25

nice link bushwacked. those are some pretty cool products. i like that the roofing solution over an old roof makes rain water capture safe.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:17

Thanks Creeky. One cool note about using the product as a roof, it really has an unlimited life span if it is re-applyed every 8-10 years.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 12:20

Quoting: sparky30_06
It's for indoors in my hunting shack

I would think it would be alright using it in that application. I would roll out the 2-4 coats and let it air out for a couple days and it should be good to go. If you do go that route, check to make sure its alright with the manufacturer and also let me know how it turns out for interior application.

travellerw
# Posted: 30 Aug 2021 10:40

Not sure how much area you are doing, but you could consider Vinyl plank. Its often discounted heavily when they are moving to new patterns (at least in my area). Using discount plank I'm guessing I could do a 10X20 area cheaper than a garage paint and end up with a more durable floor. However you might end up with a floor pattern you don't like!

The key is to call around to different flooring places and ask if they have discounted stuff. If they have stuff that has been sitting around not selling, they can be pretty eager to get rid of it. Sometimes at cost.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.