Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Posts
Johnbenjamin
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 00:27

I've read in an old post frame book to bury a post with a concrete necklace on the bottom and earth packed back in. Is this still the accepted approach? Or do you need to pour concrete to grade and use a Simpson bracket to transition to post?

Littlecooner
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 09:24

I see from your other post that you can only access the site by "trail". If mobilizing material to the building site is a problem, this option is exactly what I would consider of digging a post hole to below frost line, extending the opening at the bottom of the hole, mixing 5000 psi sakcrete (did I spell that correct?) and pouring a pad at the bottom of the hole, then placing a square treated post in the hole and backfill. This is a method I used for my cabin foundation and then mixed small batches of sakcrete in a 5 gallon bucket, about 1/2 of the bucket volume and mixed local small rocks of various sizes that were all around the cabin site into the voids and backfilled the hole up to within a couple of inches of the surface. After it all cured, placed a couple of inches of soil level with the natural sloping ground so that it looks like the post is just sitting in the ground and all the rainfall runs off with no "birdbaths" around the post, since the soil was graded back to natural profile. I do not know what part of the world you live in, but around the salt water parts of the USA, you can still purchase the old CCA treatment wood for preservative for use in salt water applications. If you can find the CCA in the old 2.4 pounds per cubic foot formula, I can assure you that the treated wood will never decay in the ground. The old CCA formula for above ground treatment was usually in the .4-.8 lbs/CF, so you can see this stuff is well treated. I have some 8x8 of this treatment that are of unknown age, but I think they are 30-40 years old and they look brand new. Be aware of these, you will have to drill holes in them for attachments, because the only nail you can drive in one of them is a concrete nail.

Good luck on the A frame.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 09:36

a few photos of my posts in place.
FloorStringers.jpg
FloorStringers.jpg
post_being_placed_in.jpg
post_being_placed_in.jpg
NorthPostinConcrete..jpg
NorthPostinConcrete..jpg

Johnbenjamin
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 12:26

Littlecooner,
Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. Is there any advantage to casting the post in concrete over the pad but below grade?

Johnbenjamin
# Posted: 17 Aug 2017 21:38

Let me rephrase my question.

Is there any additional risk to rot with encasing the post in concrete? I understand that rebar will corrode little because of the consistent moisture level in the concrete and it not being exposed to air. A post however, obviously extends out of the concrete.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.