Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / clear coat
sparky30_06
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 19:21

So I used bc sanded plywood for my walls and ceiling. Now the question is what to clear it with? Spraying is out of the question so it will be rolled on and edges cut in with a brush.

ICC
# Posted: 10 Sep 2017 19:33

I like Minwax Polycrylic best. Water based and is clear, no yellow color cast like oil finishes. No roller coating, use a high quality brush.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 07:05

ICC
Have you ever heard of using a neutral base latex paint to coat walls?

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 07:58

I second Minwax Poly as well, goes on well, finishes nicely, has a variety of colours / stains BUT the key, as with any Clear, clean & clean BEFORE applying anything.... dust the walls & ceiling and even vacuum... the clear picks up dust etc and can either bubble or show it in other ways.

Minwax is a bit pricey but it works well... Most Poly's, Acrylics etc are Water Based now and much less toxic fume wise but still have windows open !

ICC
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 09:51

Quoting: sparky30_06
ICC
Have you ever heard of using a neutral base latex paint to coat walls?

You mean the untinted base? No.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Sep 2017 09:57

Re the Minwax polycrylic. Yes be clean, as dust free as you can.

Also, being water based it can raise the grain on some woods after application. A slight bother but an easy fix with some 220 sandpaper and a swipe with a tack cloth to pickup the dust. I don't mind the extra step because I absolutely love the total clearness of the finish. It does not change the color of the wood at all. I have walls and ceilings that are unstained wood and this stuff doesn't change the natural look.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 15:10

So I went out and picked up some Valspar ultra 4000 Neutral Tintable base in a semi gloss. Tried it out on some leftover Plywood I used on the ceiling and walls and it turned out pretty darn well. Had to thin the paint with water seeing that it wasn't tinted but it rolled on great and with 3 coats it looks good. Just has that nice semigloss shine to it. Now it's not a hard protective finish like a poly would be but I just want to keep stains off the walls and ceiling and make cleaning easy.

Off to camp next weekend to get my roll on. I'll update when I return.

rockies
# Posted: 2 Oct 2017 18:10

Plywood can be a very yellow wood and a clear coat can also make it very "shiny". You may wind up feeling like you're inside a big amber box.

I would suggest doing a white wash with a good quality latex paint.

http://www.homestead128.com/4-steps-whitewash-wood/

You'll find that the interior will also become a lot brighter, thus needing less lighting.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 06:49 - Edited by: sparky30_06

rockies
Thanks for the tip, I'll try a piece this weekend and see what happens

It is BC sanded plywood, not sheeting

Just
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 10:56

1 cup white latex paint 1 quart clear poly .You get this on yellow pine.
image3_2.JPG
image3_2.JPG

Cowracer
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 10:59

Quoting: rockies
You may wind up feeling like you're inside a big amber box.

Oh... I dunno. I like being in the big amber box. It's cozy.

Tim

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 11:19

Cowracer
reminds me of an old school cabin, looks good!

sparky30_06
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 06:57

Here's the test piece with 1 coat, 2 coats and 3 coats.
test piece
test piece

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 20:21 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Cowracer
Oh... I dunno. I like being in the big amber box. It's cozy.

I agree, love that darker amber look, very cozy, reminds you of those Thomas Kincaide paintings of cabins at dusk, in the mountains, smoke from the chimney and the amber glow inside from the oil lamps and fireplace.

https://thomaskinkade.com/art-genre/cottages/

itsals1
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 22:32

I made our living room floor of 3/4" BC sanded plywood. I stained them and used 3 coats of minwax water based floor finish, turned out ok but it was a lot of work.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 06:32

itsals1
very nice, are those full sheets or rips??

Cowracer
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 09:05 - Edited by: Cowracer

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I agree, love that darker amber look, very cozy, reminds you of those Thomas Kincaide paintings of cabins at dusk, in the mountains, smoke from the chimney, and amber glow inside from the oil lamps and fireplace.

Not to mention the Imperial II class Star Destroyers de-orbiting over the mountains.

So peacefull. So relaxing.

Tim

P.s. The wife actually bought me this print and had it framed. Its in my theater, but I keep threatening to put it over the fireplace in the cabin.

itsals1
# Posted: 6 Oct 2017 21:38

Sparky
We ripped the 4'x8' sheets down to 3" strips. The floor turned out fine, but if I were to do it over I would have just installed 2 1/4" red oak. All the labor to make the flooring just was not worth the time. If you like wide plank flooring then it would be less labor to produce.
Travis

Kayrae
# Posted: 10 Oct 2017 10:11

Do you have any photos of the walls to share? how thick was the plywood, and did you rip into strips as well?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 07:50

Well little update on operation latex clear coat. So after two coats on the walls and ceiling things are looking good. Probably do one more coat on the walls. As you can see it went one with a milky look but dried clear. I did use a semi gloss to get a little shine. Wish I would have sanded everything down a little first so it would have been smoother but it's not bad. Went one super easy just like painting drywall. Now it won't be a hard protective coat like a poly will but hopefully it doesn't get too bad of abuse.
IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.