Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Framing protection
Srollins
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 07:41

Morning all,

So I started building my cabin in West Virginia and have a question. I live in Maryland about 5 hours away from the build site and only get up there about once a month, Currently my piers are installed 10" below frost line , total of 15 piers , cabin will be 24'x32' and my support beams for floor joist consist of one 6x6 and two 2x12 one on each side of the 6x6 all bolted together, Im now ready for floor joist will be 2x10 non treated. Question is due to me not being able to stick with the build from start to finish after I install the joist and Blocking can it stay exposed until my next trip which would be to lay plywood and at that time it could be months before this thing is under roof so I can I protect the plywood and floor framing from the weather until I can get this under roof?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 08:17

Depending on the weather you are having. I wouldn't worry to much if it's rain and then the sun comes out the next day to dry them up. My framing and even plywood floor sat for months before I got a roof on it and it wrapped. I had good weather and not a lot of rain. After the plywood is down you can tarp it but that will trap moisture.

I framed my floor 3-20-16, laid that plywood decking & framed walls 6-25-16, then put the roof on and wrapped it 7-3-16. The plywood decking didn't sit exposed long but the framing did and didn't have any issues.

snobdds
# Posted: 3 Oct 2017 10:53

Do the floor when you can start and finish in the same trip (joist and decking). Flooring takes no time to put together, and can be done in a long weekend. Then tarp it and your good until you can start the walls.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.