Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / I started my foundation! Here is what I've done so far. Little help?
Mushroom Man
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 09:31

Hey everyone!

I started my 12x24 Tiny house foundation.

Frost line is 22" + 6" = 28" I dug down to 30-32" to be safe. And inserted 10" concrete form sleeves. Majority of the columns extend above ground between 12" to 18". Not all of them are perfectly straight vertical. However the metal base, to attach the 6"x 6"x 12' pressure treated beam, are leveled and should accept it with little problem.

Here is a small issue (hopefully). I screwed-up on the columns being perfectly inline with each other. Another-words I know the 12' beam will NOT fit perfectly across to all 5 columns.

My thought is to cut, seal the end of the beam with a weather protective coating, and place each 6"x 6" from one base to the next. Although it is no longer a single peace I would like to ASSUME it will be strong and ready to accept the framing of the house. Please see pics to better understand my issue.

Thank you!
base_1.jpg
base_1.jpg
base_2.jpg
base_2.jpg
base_5.jpg
base_5.jpg
base_4.jpg
base_4.jpg

snobdds
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 13:01 - Edited by: snobdds

Even if you sting the supports from pier to pier, you will still be crooked. This however is not of any consequence because it looks like you are building on top of the supports. If you were dropping your joists in between the supports, then that would be a problem. You're just going to have to really tie the supports to the rim boards to keep uplift to a minimum.

The problem I see, is you're going to have to span 12 feet with no middle support. That is going to require some large wood to not have it be bouncy. Use lots of joist hangers to keep the bounce to a minimum.

Mushroom Man
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 14:06 - Edited by: Mushroom Man

I'm going to cut 6' pcs. to place from one column to the next IF I HAVE TOO. Even if it is off it should not be a problem attaching the framing to it. I feel pretty good about it.

rockies
# Posted: 4 Oct 2017 17:58

I would be concerned about chopping your foundation beams into little pieces. How many of the brackets are out of alignment? By how much? Those metal tie downs don't look like they are made out of very thick metal so I would set a string line across the tops of them and then bend down the sides of the brackets that are out of line with a hammer. Place the beam and then hammer back up the bracket sides and bolt them on.

Borrego
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 10:10

Quoting: rockies
I would be concerned about chopping your foundation beams into little pieces.

Me too.....Even though your joists will sit on top of the beams, it would still be better to figure some way to keep the beams intact, perhaps as rockies said... or maybe drill into the top of the footings and epoxy in another anchor to attach the beam to...?

Mushroom Man
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 10:50

Drill into the concrete to place another footing. I didn't think of that! Very good idea.

Mushroom Man
# Posted: 5 Oct 2017 10:51

I will give that a try first.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.