Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 3 inch ground clearance
t_bell40
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 10:06 - Edited by: t_bell40

I have an Amish built shed. It is on 4x4 runners. If you look underneath the shed from the back to the front, you can see a about a 3in gap between the crushed concrete and the 2x4 floor. My question is should I try to shove some owens pink underneath and then put either hardware fabric or copper mesh stuff to seal the ends or not ?? I am not sure if air circulating underneath is important to keep things from rotting or better to insulate ??
The shed is 12ft by 30ft. Not sure if all the boards are treated.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 11:20

any lumber within 18" of the ground should be treated. Air flow is very important to keep moisture out. The crushed concrete will help but you will still get ground moisture.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 02:03

I agree with the 18". Also have a 6mil Vapor barrier in there..... but it would be fun to get in there when the clearance is 3"

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 02:04

Oh, Black vapor barrier. Clear lets the weeds grow though if its near a vent, crawl space door, etc

Just
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 08:20

If you want to insulate the floor add 2 in. of foam inside the cabin and a false floor but leave it wide open under the cabin you need all the air you can get . Make sure to use some sort of rodent control under there and keep it clean of debris .

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Oct 2017 22:10

Can you jack it up and set it on a raised foundation of sorts?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.