Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Western Red cedar
Srollins
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 06:16

Hello all,

Can I get a free education on Western Red Cedar? I found a guy that may supply me with the post's I need for my wall framing.....to recap 6x6x12' wall studs every 4' - T&G on outside- tyvek-spacer strips1/2"-2" foam board- siding TBD. Question is I asked the guy if the material was Kiln dried he said he things Western Red doesn't need to be? Help please

Thanks,
Scott

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 08:00

Cedar is not known for strength, structural or otherwise. Cladding, siding, decks fine, Framing not so much. If you need an certified building inspection it won't fly. IF building as Cordwood / Stackwall then that's different but not what you are planning. Cordwood walls are typically a minimum of 14" more often 16-20" thick, with breathable mortar, rebar / ties bars and cedar+lime mix between mortar lines.

Srollins
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 08:40

Understood thanks , the guy just emailed me he wants 185.00 per post 6x6x12' needless to say too rich for my blood. Looking for a good species of post to use that will structurally fill my needs at an affordable price what about yellow or white pine?

creeky
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 09:09

are you burying the posts? Sounds like you're building a pole barn type structure? you might want to check some of the resources online.

Srollins
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 12:10

No building a cabin but after doing some research decided to go with 2x6 walls and install T&G on the inside

ICC
# Posted: 2 Dec 2017 19:24

A wise move, IMO.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.