Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Moving a cubic yard of crushed stone
socceronly
# Posted: 31 Mar 2018 17:25

Sooooo.... yer on an islan ya say.

Are there bags or something I could buy to transfer a cubic yard of crushed rock from mainland -> Pontoon boat -> Island ?

2600lb 40lb bags would make for 65 bags.

Building a skid foundation for a shed. Putting down crushed rock as a base.

I will have no friends left after this.

socceronly
# Posted: 31 Mar 2018 17:30

I wonder if burlap bags would do it.

Found these on Uline

https://www.uline.ca/BL_227/Burlap-Bags

Just
# Posted: 31 Mar 2018 17:59

Borrow 5 or 6 wheel barrowes make a few trips .k

old243
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 09:42

Talk to almost any farmer. They usually have used feed bags. Also don't put much in each bag. so you can handle them easily . So you can do it yourself. old 243

socceronly
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 10:04

This
cowislandrocks.gif
cowislandrocks.gif

Just
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 11:58

You mentioned a pontoon boat could you not use it and a plank .

beachman
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 12:17

I have put a wheelbarrow in a small 14ft boat and filled it with buckets of gravel. Then emptied it into the buckets and lugged them to the site. Labor intensive but it works.

socceronly
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 12:26

Quoting: Just
You mentioned a pontoon boat could you not use it and a plank .

I just figured we need to get it out of a giant Homedepot delivery bag thing, onto the boat then up 30ft of stairs.

So it might as well go straight into bags. If the burlap ones will work, you can get them wide enough it will be easy to shovel into.

Just
# Posted: 1 Apr 2018 12:45

Aaaa. I understand , we once had a place with 77 steps to the water. Time to invite a few friend for the weekend .

Rickant
# Posted: 2 Apr 2018 17:13

Funny, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm putting a greywater system this spring and coins use a yard of gravel...I should have had it pulled across when the ice as thick in the winter!

NorthRick
# Posted: 2 Apr 2018 18:05 - Edited by: NorthRick

Buy empty sand bags. Even here in Alaska they are not that expensive. Fabricate a small hopper the bag fits on the bottom, holding it open, and big enough at the top to easily fling a shovel full of rocks into. A few people can fill a lot of bags in not too much time with this method.

I'm a little confused on how you are purchasing the rock - "giant Homedepot delivery bag thing." Does your Homedepot have aggregate available in cubic yard bags? I've never seen that before. When I buy gravel/sand in bulk I get it straight from the gravel yard. They take a loader and dump the load right into the back of my truck.

I just got done hauling about 3,600 pounds of gravel, sand, and cement into our remote cabin using sleds and snowmobiles.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Apr 2018 07:25

Is the beach on this island have gravel?

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Apr 2018 12:18

A cubic yard of stone is 2700 lbs. You are going to move a cubic yard at a time on your pontoon boat? Put that on the stern and watch your bow pop up. Or the boat sink.

Filling up burlap of any large size bag will get heavy quick. How are you going to move them once filled? They will likely be over a 100 lbs. each. This will lose it's luster after the first ten bags you move.
Buying stone from Home Depot in those 50 lb. bags for half a cubic foot is going to be an expensive proposition.
I get ten tons of stone delivered by dump truck for $350. YMMV as price increases distance from quarry. I get that's not an option for an island unless you use a barge.
Still, you may want to get stone delivered somewhere you can bag it and then move it.
I've moved 40 tons of stone using my ATV and a dumping yard trailer I re-enforced and put better wheels on. It wasn't fun as you shovel it in but dumping is way better than shoveling out.
Sand bags can be bought cheap, are easy to load, seal, reuse and keeps weight to a managed level.

socceronly
# Posted: 4 Apr 2018 12:23

Well, I was going to shoot for 30ish lb bags of rock and limit it to maybe 25 at a time on the boat. 20' boat with 25" pontoons. That's well within it's limit.

Works out to four trips and around 90 bags total.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 4 Apr 2018 15:56

So I think the sandbags will work best. You can buy a 100 of them on Amazon for $18. It’sthe 30 feet of stairs that going to suck. Figure about 50-60 pounds a bag. Get a bag at a time up the stairs wearing a decent backpack. But by the end of this you’re going to have “Buns of Steel”. You can position bags around boat so it’s balanced.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.