Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Sizes, Advice for a newbie?
ProfitOfDoom
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 01:18

The wife and I was thinking about buying a a small plot of land,As of now our savings will allow around 10-20 acres. Im looking to get some land in Andover,Ohio. So I've been looking for new listings of land and see some come and go,,and it looks to me,,Our best bet without waiting too long saving more money for a already built up piece of land,is to buy a decent plot and make it ours over time.

Im pretty much fine with just getting a trailer and using that for the time being while we build something a lil more permanent,But then again this is only for weekend,maybe week get aways,so dont need nothing to fancy.

I was thinking maybe something like a 15'x30' cabin. Watched a few youtube videos and while Im not the best woodworker,I do have some saws/tools and general building knowledge. So im pretty confident with a few friends and a good plan I could make my own cabin of sorts.

That being said im open to suggestions on what to build,or even Not to build as it maybe cheaper buying something already built? Im also curious on if there are certain size basic cabins built easier considering lowes/home depot pre-cut lumber,For example Im interested in a 15'x30' cabin,,would it be easier to go 14'x28' or 16'x32' etc. due to standard precut wood?

The current piece of land I have my eye on does not have water or electricity. Looks like electricity could be ran fairly easy as I see lines ran near property but looks like a well would need to be dug if I wanted water,and I do.

So if anyone could give some advice on how to go about something like this Id be very thankful!

Steve_S
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 07:43

Think in 4' & 8' foot increments so 16x32 or 20x24. Makes for less hassles and material waste.

A good place to look at when thinking of prebuilt & kits is here @ Jamaica Cottage Shop They have prebuilt, kits and plans and provide a good sample of ideas & designs and what the pricing runs around in general terms.

Well drilling prices are all over the place. I paid $35 a foot for drilling through banded granite with a cable pounding drill. Drill types, there are Bore Drills and Cable Drills, bore drills tend to go 20% deeper than cable pounders to get the same water flows due to the fact they do not fracture / crack the rock where a cable drill does and will return better water flows. There may be some state registry or something where well information is recorded that you can access, it would indicate well depths, age of well, how it was drilled etc.. ** Not everywhere has such, it is possible that Ohio might, I dunno.

Before buying, verify how the land is zoned / coded and what minimum requirements are to build on it, is there size limits, will you have to have a septic or can you use grey water & composting / sawdust toilet. Do you have to submit certified building plans etc, what rules if any on owner designed & owner built ? Make sure you can do what you want to do on the land before buying it, that could really dampen your mood.

Land never get's cheaper unless there is something wrong with it. Take your time, look at how the sun exposures are (carry a compass with you) and pay attention to orientation of the properties being looked at, high & low spots, look for water pooling / boggy spots, if possible note wind directions (sometimes if you look at older trees (several species) they will have a bit of a bend in the predominant direction of the winds).

Good Luck and have fun, don't rush and enjoy the adventure.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 09:00

I was going to add to Steve ie 4 foot increments. Keep it simple in design, its Ok to complicate it, just know your time frame, ie how long you have to get the dried in shell.

Pick a spot where no wanter collects in heavy rains or winter (nole), so no water issues, southern exposure or SW for afternoon sun, keep it warm in winter, but will it be too hot in summer?

Jebediah
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 09:52

I would tag onto a real-estate agent and go and look at cottages and cabins...or spend some time staying in a few week end rentals....empty spaces always look too small....Your property may also dictate the size of your cabin....My friend bought 40acres, it took him forever to pick a location for his cabin along a lake....the spot he liked the most required boulders the size of trucks to be broken up and moved, close to his boundary and now he will have neighbours building close to him...I told him to build in the middle of his 2000' water front lol...I think his soon to be neighbours are hoping to tag onto his road, which cost him 10g's to have constructed....

Nate R
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 11:00

Quoting: Jebediah
or spend some time staying in a few week end rentals

I found that this was HUGELY helpful in the long run. Really helped me and my wife figure out what we like and don't like. And no real risk!

rockies
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 19:40

There are also physical considerations. How old are the two of you? Do you have any physical restrictions that might make climbing stairs difficult (either now or in the future)? If so, you'll gradually come to hate a bedroom loft.

The easiest shape to build is a rectangle with a shed roof. Concrete piers with beams tends to be the easiest foundation (less concrete). Buy all your window and doors off the shelf at a big box hardware store (no custom sizes).

I would say that whatever is the minimum size needed for a structural member, go to the next bigger size. If the span table for floor joists calls for 2x8 minimum, use 2x10. Walls, use 2x6. You'll appreciate the extra room for insulation.

Borrego
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 21:27

I went with 24 x 24 ft (you need to decide inside vs outside dimensions, floor sheathing v drywall v exterior siding) for the obvious reasons as mentioned above. Agree with 2 x 6 walls...

Think out the compass directions, live on the property in a trailer for a year and measure the sun angles so you can figure out the eaves overhang, you want to maximize the sun for heat when needed and minimize it during the summer, there is a perfect compromise point.

I took 5-6 years to build mine, working alone (mostly) on weekends, and the journey was the best part....don't rush it, it'll be one of the best things you ever do!

ProfitOfDoom
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 17:16

Thank you all for all the advice and suggestion,,Gave me alot to think about!
Great Advice!

Princelake
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 18:53

I picked up a waterfront lot last fall. I'm planning my build and drawing up floor plans. I've found with staying square you can create the best lay out. I'll be going with a 20x20 cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.