Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Construction reading material
crowsnest2002
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 22:13

Newer member, but I've been a lurker for awhile. I was just wonder if any of you experienced folks had some good reading material suggestions. Im looking for some books on framing, pier construction methods, porch framing, a little bit of masonry, and efficient interior designs. I would also appreciate good scetches with explanations. Thank you to any help and suggestions.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Apr 2018 23:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Dude, go to Amazon, get a book called "The efficient Carpenter" by Larry Haun.

OK, I bought this book about a year ago for under $30, now I see $70 and up to over $400??? Crazy...

OK, watch all his youtube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=larry+haun

Go to youtube and watch all his videos. He has passed on, but what a fine human being. Hand banged all his nails. Not a single wasted step, he has a series on youtube,. starts from flooring all the way to roofing and everything in between including stairs etc.

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 05:49 - Edited by: crowsnest2002

Thanks for the link. Im a very visual person so that should be helpful. Here is a link to pdf if anyone follows this. The Very Efficient Carpenter PDF
PDFhttps://karkasnye-doma.pro › arhive › eff...

snobdds
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 10:59

Yes, Larry Haun was probably one of the best carpenters out there.

Just as a little tribute to him, I framed my entire cabin without a framing nailer. I hand drove every singe nail. It gives you a good appreciation to know how the old timers did it.

I did use my palm nailer on all hangers for the teco nails. I wanted to keep feeling in my fingers so I went pneumatic...

socceronly
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 19:58

Didn't some of the Larry H books get updated re written recently?

I came across them searching, and then ... couldn't find it again when I went to buy it.

I have one of the DVDs, but the others never came from Amazon, and they cancelled the order.

Borrego
# Posted: 12 Apr 2018 21:24

Yes, Larry was epic..
Another guy I like is The Essential Craftsman, he seems to know a lot about everything, an old school soul for sure....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AlTvciSQ8

re Books, I have actually learned a lot over the years from some of the books you see at the Big Box stores..they may seem rudimentary at first, but there can be some really good stuff in them...(and you can buy them on Amazon for almost nothing

crowsnest2002
# Posted: 13 Apr 2018 09:20

Good point. I might check them out next time i get into one of those box stores and order online. I wish i could get away with printing that pdf at work....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.