Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Best way to expand doors to retrofit
KinAlberta
# Posted: 28 Apr 2018 21:47 - Edited by: KinAlberta

So I have a thread titled:

“Best way to cut down doors to retrofit” (36” reduced to 32”) Now I have the opposite problem:

I am going to add a boathouse door to the back so I can just roll our boat in and out on it’s trailer.

I have two heavy steel commercial doors that are 42”x96” (7’ opening) but I need to frame an 8’ opening with a good header. That framing part will be easy as the interior isn’t finished and the exterior is just plywood. Will make sure the walls serve as a good shear walls since I’ll have two boat doors - one at one end on the left side, and one on the other end on the right side.

(Will first close off a second narrower 5’-6’ canoe/rowboat door on the front of the boathouse and frame it in and sheath over the area both inside and out. Maybe add diagonal bracing too.)

The new rear trailer door will basically be surface mounted and flashed above. I plan to put metal siding on the boathouse in a year or two.

So I’m just not sure of what cheap options I have to fill the 11”-12” gap between the two metal doors. Add on to each door or put in a removable mullion at the centre.

- Add 6” to each door (say 8+”x96” steel plate bolted on each door plus one 2”x96” overlap flange and each maybe backed with 2x6s or

- add the difference all to one door

- just flash over a 2x12” with enough of a flange to overlap both doors to seal the opening and prevent a prybar from getting in there. The problem here is that I may have to chain it at the top so it doesn’t fall on someone outside when the bars are being removed on the inside.

I plan to use drop bars as I also have a side door.

Iyour ideas and thoughts?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.