Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Small Cabin Plans - Architect Andrew Sheldon
LittleManCabin
# Posted: 10 May 2018 16:32

Hey all! I am new to this forum, but I have been enjoying reading through all kinds of great information over the past few days.

I have been searching and searching for plans for a small off-grid cabin, 300-400 sq feet. I will be building it on land in the NC mountains. I finally found a plan that I like, by architect Andrew Sheldon. See the link below for his catalog. I like the Plan #C102 Classic Style Mini-Cabin on page 10. I was going to purchase the plan but found out that the architect passed away last year and his website has been taken down.

Does anyone know where I can find this plan or do you know of a similar plan? I am also open to hiring an architect to re-create a similar plan if anyone has any contacts.

http://pinehalls.com/SheldonDesignsCatalog.pdf

Thanks!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 10 May 2018 17:40

Much better plans commonly available. Ones that don't use SPAM as a building material...

beachman
# Posted: 10 May 2018 18:25

Fluff or no fluff, I saw these same plans about 30 yrs ago and saw the plan CT103 in a magazine a few years ago and almost used this as our plan. I think I might have ordered the saltbox garage plans originally. Really nice stuff. Ended up with a picture from another magazine that we fooled with an eventually turned into our own plan. Personally and although I am happy with the cottage we built, I think you have to build about 5 buildings to be reasonably satisfied with a plan.

rockies
# Posted: 10 May 2018 19:08 - Edited by: rockies

Spam or no spam, I can tell you right now that building a full masonry fireplace is beyond most DIY'ers so it will have to be a wood stove (which will eat a bit more into your room layout).

Also, a bay window is a bit of a pain to frame, so just extend the floor joists (cantilever) and build a squared extension that you can use as a window seat.

If you're smart you'll turn this plan 90 degrees clockwise so the porch is in the south side.

Should you be a real person, best of luck.

ICC
# Posted: 10 May 2018 20:23 - Edited by: ICC

I would say, not spam. A Google search finds that he is deceased.... I did the search using the name & address from the brochure that was linked to (Sheldon Designs
1330 Rt.206-#204 Skillman, NJ 08558)

google maps, location marked as permanently closed

obit, details dovetail well

Google really is marvelous
screenshot, google maps
screenshot, google maps

LittleManCabin
# Posted: 10 May 2018 21:38

I would be eliminating the fireplace.

I am not sure what the mention of spam is about.

I am open to other plans that are similar. I would really like to have a large covered porch. If anyone has any recommendations for plans, let me know. I am willing to pay for them if needed.

The one other one I found is from http://plan-to-build.com/tiny-cabin-in-the-woods/

Here is a link to the plan: https://plan-to-build.com/index.php?eddfile=24868%3A877%3A0%3A1&ttl=1526060778&file=0 &token=27eca2830808cf45e488b4ee5b827c5a

It is a little small though.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 11 May 2018 07:51 - Edited by: fiftyfifty

Do you plan to build it yourself, or have someone build the shell for you?

Because if you plan to have someone build it for you, you probably won't need a plan. Just show the picture to your builder and say "build me something like this." Builders who concentrate on sheds, garages and other outbuildings etc. have plenty of experience working without plans.

Now if you are planning on building it yourself and you don't have much experience, or if you plan on hiring a builder and live in a very strict area for permits, then yes maybe you will need an actual official plan.

P.S. It is very cute. I see why you like it.

LittleManCabin
# Posted: 11 May 2018 12:08

I plan on building it myself with the help of a friend. We have a little construction experience, but we have never built a building, which is why I think having an exact plan will help to keep us on track. I might end up hiring someone to help if I can find a framer that isn't too expensive, but I think building it ourselves will be part of the fun and the experience.

The ground it is on is slightly sloping, about 1 foot lower on one side. I am thinking of using 10" sonotubes (24" inch frost line) for the foundation then put posts on top or have the double 2x10's sit directly on top of the piers. I am hoping I will be able to dig down easily, but I might end up hitting rocks and a lot of tree roots. The property doesn't have electricity or water, so it should be quite an adventure!

jaransont3
# Posted: 11 May 2018 12:23 - Edited by: jaransont3

I like it too. It reminds me of our cabin a little. Ours is slightly bigger at 420 sq ft. It is plenty of room for two people. We have a loft, but only use it for storage as we have a small (8x12) bedroom additional to the basic 16x20 main cabin. Lots of pictures in our build thread...

420 sq ft of Heaven

I thought I had posted a floorpan picture of it, but I didn't see it. Must be one of the broken links. I can post it tonight when I am home from work.

Good luck with your planning and build.

rockies
# Posted: 11 May 2018 19:27

Don't think people are being unfriendly. Usually when someone first joins the site and immediately posts a thread that provides a link to a product or website the members think that the new member is really a salesman trying to get people to buy their product or service. So it gets called "Spam". If the new member doesn't follow it up with further questions or comments then the thread usually gets deleted.

Some of the "spam" is actually quite funny, especially when the English is really mangled.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 May 2018 21:06

Quoting: rockies
Some of the "spam" is actually quite funny, especially when the English is really mangled.

And the replies are jsut as funny.

OK Littlemancabin, take a peek at http://www.townandcountryplans.com , this is where i bought my plans and ended up building it too. In fact, their website shows my unit.

LittleManCabin
# Posted: 13 May 2018 23:33

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
And the replies are jsut as funny. OK Littlemancabin, take a peek at http://www.townandcountryplans.com , this is where i bought my plans and ended up building it too. In fact, their website shows my

Thanks for the website. Which plan did you go with?

garden lady
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 01:16

I built the CT 101 Micro Cottage back in 2012 purchased the plan...hired a local builder. We made some modifications and didn't do the fireplace...but its a super cute plan and I really love it! It lives big for being small. The bay window adds some style and beauty and takes advantage of the great view at my place. I can't recall any issues for the builder. Was sorry to hear Andy passed away. We didn't know him, but felt like we did by building his cabin. Afterwards, I sent photos of the build to show our appreciation.

garden lady
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 01:25

Yup, I agree! We built the CT 101 I think it got changed to 103 the "micro cottage" and it is super cute! It's been my residence for 7 years now and I love it. My friend and I looked at gazillions of plans before finding Andy's. We didn't go with the fireplace either, but so what? The bay window didn't present too much of a problem for my builder and it adds beauty and style to the finished work. We made some personal modifications and it was easy to do with this plan. We switched around living room and kitchen per my preference so couch would be at bay window to take advantage of a view. I would recommend any of his plans, but especially this one!

garden lady
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 01:37

Sad to hear he passed away. My friend and I had a builder do his micro-cottage plan (520 sq ft) and it's super cute. We didn't do the fireplace and went with a Toyo. Didn't know him personally but love living in his tiny house plan.

N0klu
# Posted: 22 Oct 2020 15:25

The link is closed, Do you still have the plans for Plan #CT103? I want to build myself this little home for my quiet time place.

Keri
# Posted: 5 Jan 2024 20:44

Is there anywhere I can still purchase the CT 101 or 103? I see where Kris moved the LV- kitchen on a different site, but this is the plan I am trying to track down. Actually a hand drawn ariel version w room sizes would work. I am sorry I missed out on corresponding with Mr. Sheldon, as I certainly admire his work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.