Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rusty tin roofs
socceronly
# Posted: 14 May 2018 11:09

If they are rusty, do they leak?

What kind of tin roof, the corrugated ones, rust?

I was hoping to put a rustic rusty look on my bunkie.

Rickkrus
# Posted: 14 May 2018 13:13

I'm looking for the same. None of the methods I've found get the galvanized corrugated metal panels to rust. Can't find non galvanized. I've tried peroxide vinegar and salt, muriatic acid, toilet bowl cleaner. Nothing seems to work. Tried paint but didn't get the look I want. Hopefully someone has some info.

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 May 2018 13:37 - Edited by: DaveBell

There is a brush on rust treatment (rust mort) you can get at auto body supply place. Turns rust black. Nasty stuff, rubber gloves, eye protection and water to wash with needed. That might eat up the finish, then let it weather to see how it runs out.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 May 2018 21:05 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: socceronly

What kind of tin roof, the corrugated ones, rust?

I was hoping to put a rustic rusty look on my bunkie.

S/O, they actually make brand new metal roofing that looks like old rusted barn stuff.

Just a few example, plenty more

http://www.abcmetalroofing.com/Residential/Rustic-Trail/
http://www.paintedrustedroofing.com/

Borrego
# Posted: 18 May 2018 19:38

I've used panels from this company twice before....They are shiny when you get them, but rust u nicely after about 3-6 months...depending on your weather. You can use them for roofing, or wall siding, or even fencing (like I did)....
Reasonable pricing too....

http://www.cortenroofing.com/

gsreimers
# Posted: 18 Sep 2021 23:00

sprayed muratic acid on 5 panels last weekend. rinsed them off and then sprayed them with salt water. They started rusting immediately. Left them outside in front of the cabin when we left and am looking forward to seeing what they look like in 3 weeks when we go back up.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Sep 2021 00:31

Kinda seems wrong to me to speed up the wearing out of my building materials just for looks.
But, at 68 I guess even a rusty'ish new metal roof will last longer than I will.
My current 2 metal roofs are silver-grey, 1 on the rough sawmill board sided cabin, the other on a Hunter Green ice-shack repurposed as my toolshed power house. I dont notice or think the roofs as objectionable.
Having had other, conventional shingled roofs in dark I think these have helped reflect summer heat.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.