Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Roof board question
Srollins
# Posted: 18 May 2018 06:33

Hello all,

Continuing with my cabin build in West Virginia using the stoney wall idea, so far so good no issues other than having to be picky about what boards to use a big crown or slight warp will affect the next log . I will post pics when I can, I'm coming up to the roof and I want the exposed board look and was wondering T&G 1X6 OR 1X8 would be great but I think regular 1x available at any home depot or lowes would be easier on the wallet and most likely get installed faster. Is it ok to use boards that are not T&G does anyone see an issue? I would obviously butt them tight and plan to use the stickey on one side felt then tin on top. what do you all think?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2018 08:45

I would not use it, I would use T&G or real plywood over rafters laid sideways, staggered like bricks. You may save some $$$ but the the difference would not be worth the compromise you'd get and may not meet code if you are building it with a permit.
That is just my opinion and its worth every cent you paid.

meloj
# Posted: 18 May 2018 10:53

My lumber yard had a 1x10 roof board which they supplied me and it was not too expensive per linear foot. Plywood was cheaper and faster to install but I went with the visual look.

Our boards were not too warped. Generally we could adjust and manipulate them as needed. They were not T&G so there are some smaller seams but its going to be covered with roof wrap and your shingles or metal.

Tonerboy
# Posted: 18 May 2018 13:03

Looking forward to pics of the "Stoney" type construction.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 19 May 2018 00:07

If I understand correctly, you want to use 1x for the roof decking (where you said then felt then tin). Use plywood. If you want the wood look, build a soffit (with venting) and use the 1x material on the bottom of your rafters with the plywood on top.

This pic may help with my description of what I'm talking about. The white T&G boards in the pic are the ones I'm suggesting you could use your 1x material for the look

https://uphillhouse.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/soffit.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.