Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Help with barrel hoops
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 12:16

My 500 gallon watertank is a bit of an eyesore. I plan on cladding it in 1" strips of wood but I don't know where to get straps to wrap around. They would need to be about 12' long. Any ideas? Thanks

ColdFlame
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 12:27

I'd look into the steel bands used for wood-fired hot tubs. From a quick google search:

http://www.redwoodsaunas.com/cedar-hot-tubs-3/replacement-hot-tub-tank-bands/

I'm sure there are many others. Or, you can look into steel cable tension bands - commonly used in shipping. They do require a special tool (unknown cost to me w/o some research).

You'd want to use stainless steel so that it outlasts the wood, but that's a given.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 12:29

Actually; how about stainless steel rope with loops on the end? You could then use a turnbuckle to tension... The big box stores will sell this, and also sell a vinyl coated version too (prevent marring the wood so much if you cared).

ICC
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 13:39

How about a ratchet strap; the endless loop type. Custom made lengths available here in different widths.

Just
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 13:51

Pic please

NorthRick
# Posted: 25 Jun 2018 15:54

Visit the nearest steel supply house. They probably have thin bar stock that long that you could make work.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 26 Jun 2018 08:20

Thanks for the feedback, I think Im leaning toward the cable turnbuckle method, I would like to use the stainless straps that they use in shipping but it seems that the tool required is expensive and the strapping only comes in large quantities.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Jun 2018 08:28

TSC has stainless aircraft cable in 50' rolls fairly inexpensive. You can buy the ubolt connectors to pull tight and secure. They actually have a garage cable replacement kit that comes with cable and 4 fasteners. I think it was about $25.

I'm not sure what shape your tank is but the other idea is to build a 2x2 frame around it then nail or screw your wood strips to the framing.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 26 Jun 2018 08:36

I just watched a YouTube video on making metal barrel hoops. From your videos I know you are a handy fellow. It might be something you are able to do.....I wonder if a place like " Metal Supermarket" would carry the hoop metal? They have lots of neat stuff priced reasonably. Or if you can find a blacksmith shop close buy...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.