Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / cabin Foundation
Scooter
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 20:23

I'm starting a new cabin. The size will be 16 x 16 plus an 8 x 16 porch. The cabin will been one story and constructed of 5 x 10 inch sawn white pine timbers. Right now I'm planning on a pier on each corner of the cabin plus two more on the porch corners for a total of 6. The piers will be 24 x 24 x12 inch thick concrete footer (42" below grade) with a 16 x 16 inch grouted solid block pier to bearing height. Think this is sufficient? any ideas on how to isolate the first wood timber ( which is larch) from the concrete to prevent rot?

Borrego
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 10:35

A 16 ft span is ok as long as you use appropriate sized beams or i guess should say girder...

Atlincabin
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 11:01

I would think 5x10 timbers would be sufficient to deal with the weight of a 16-foot span, but I'm guessing that you may have significant bounce in a floor at that span (really, you are spanning almost twice that much in the very center of the floor). I personally would consider adding some piers on at least two sides and would probably end up with 9 piers under the main cabin plus another three on the porch. I don't like bouncy floors. But it also depends on how easily one can add piers (are you hauling, mixing, and pouring your own or can a truck back up and pour them?).

On my cabin (20x24) we used 9 piers. We embedded metal brackets to hold the support beams (which are glulam 4x12s) in the concrete (used 12" diameter sonotubes on 36x26x12 footers). Built directly on bedrock, and there is virtually no spring in the floor. Decks on either end of the cabin 5x20 feet that overhang (i.e., no support at the ends of the decks). Probably overkill, but I'm happy with it.

Scooter
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 11:19

Thanks. I already poured the perimeter piers.
I can still get to the center so maybe I’ll try to add three more to create a center beam which should stiffen the floor up considerably
I Also picked up some column bases to isolate the beams from the piers.

Scooter.

Borrego
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 15:52

I agree a center span support would be best....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.