Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / amount of slope on septic line ?
backattheshack
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 15:28

is 1/4" per foot ok on a 50 ft septic line ? straight shot no bends or elbows

Just
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 16:00

1in per 100ft. runs to mind but i'm not sure i know they are almost flat !! been a while !!

Just
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 16:34

looked it up it's 1\16 to 1\8 in. per ft.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 16:40

Yeah but 1/16 is hard to measure and doesn't tolorate settling well. I have always used 1/4 if I have the drop for it. I think it also depends on the size of pipe.

larry
# Posted: 13 Feb 2011 22:38

1/4 per foot is what my septic guy says. too much and liquid runs and won't carry solid. too little and ,, well you know.

wec502
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:30

I am in the ozarks. It is impossible to get a certain slope with the hills here. For pvc pipe sewer lines, as long as it goes down hill, it is fine. The PVC is slick and doesn't catch things the way the old iron pipes did. Most of the slope/foot info is from the clay or iron pipe days. However, the drain field lines are placed to follow the contour lines of the hills and do maintain a nearly level "slope".

islandguy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2011 21:52

I ran a 20 foot line at about 1/8" per foot. I read that you should maintain that gradient even if your slope is greater, by putting a 90 degree drop into the system, rather than exceeding the recommended gradient. Also, careful to use septic piping, its sections are designed to fit together without forming a lip. A ridge or lip can trap TP in small amounts, which will stick, dry out, adhere to the pipe wall, and trap more and more until you have a blockage. Although we have only used our system for a season, so far, so good.

lawnjoky
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 10:08

Down hill 1/4" min. There are three things they teach a newby plumber:

1 Poop flows down hill

2 Pay day is Friday

3 Keep your fingers out of your mouth

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 16:35

Recieved my cabin plans today (16 x 20); wonder if it souldn't be bigger. I also picked up info on the infiltrator system. Will still have to have septic tank but this will take the place of the field line. If land perks (?), I will get a 30 % discount for using. Got home and realized I forgot to ask from whom..... I''m such a newie; still have much to learn.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 21:26

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
I also picked up info on the infiltrator system. Will still have to have septic tank but this will take the place of the field line

only need a tank if you plan on every day use, i am using a 200 to 300 gallon plastic tank and 3 infiltrator's...........make sure you use 4 Inch PVC.... a local guy is charging me $300 for labor /and his trackhoe. I am buying all the materials. If you are only going up on weekends.etc. A tank is not needed. The only reason, during hunting season i may have 2 or 3 of my buds down for a hunt. And we might stay for a week, so i decided to get a small tank just to be safe.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 21:57

There will be periods where I and possibly hubby will be spending an entire week but mostly weekends. Just got back from a plumbing class at HD, what do you guys know about "pax" hoses for water lines?

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 22:03

That should be "pex"..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 22:48

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
what do you guys know about "pax" hoses for water lines?

i like the concept..........but like my pvc..........cpvc.............easy and simple, cheap and quick............ paper towel, cleaner / primer,, glue...... and simple to repair if needed........ i keep a 5 gallon bucket at camp with fitting/primer and glue............easy fix if something need repairing. just my 2cents

smitty
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 12:10

I used Quest Pex in my house when I redid all the plumbing.
It was easy to use, good price, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it in about 7 years now.
My laundry room, use to be a back porch, and it's not insulated well, every winter the cold line for the washer freezes up. It has never busted, or given me any trouble. I just route the dryer vent under the room and turn it on awhile and it thaws it out. But the crimp fittings have never leaked, and it has never busted from freezing.
Good stuff IMHO..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 23:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Pex is the hot ticket now. Shark bite fittings can be spendy, but a plumber uses an expander tool, it reaches inside the pex, flares it and you slide it over the barbed fitting, it slowly collapsed back on it, done! You can make nice radiused bends, no fittings, it expands in freezing instead of split like copper and meth addicts dont steal it. It cant contact concrete or see sunlight. Otherwise, its the best stuff around.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.