Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Mounting exterior fixtures on cedar siding
NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 12 Aug 2018 16:35

Hey everyone-

I was hoping some folks here with experience could give me some tips on mounting exterior fixtures (porch light, outlet) on cedar lap siding. I generally see two approaches: chisel out the siding and mount the fixture directly to the surface behind it (mine is OSB + houswrap). The second is to take a piece of scrap siding, and flip it upside down to use as a mounting block. Any advice on which way is better? Do I have to worry about moisture creeping into the junction box with the latter method?
Any advice would be most appreciated...

rockies
# Posted: 12 Aug 2018 17:42 - Edited by: rockies

Hmm. I would suggest using stainless steel screws to attach the scrap siding to the cabin siding but put some plastic spacers between the two pieces of wood (round washers over the screws) to allow an air gap between the two. This will let any moisture escape and you won't have to flash behind or over the top edge of the scrap piece.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Aug 2018 22:06

Is the wall already sided with the lap siding?

The easiest and best way is to plan far enough ahead so before the lap siding is installed you place blocks the same thickness as the trim. I have always installed corner, window and door trim first, before the lap siding. Trim is usually 4/4 or 5/4, sometimes thicker depending on siding. Doing plan ahead method the blocks are mounted directly on top of the air barrier that is installed over the sheathing. Then the wall is sided and the fixtures installed.

If the wall has been sided already then the best solution is to cut out a square or rectangle through the siding, trying not to cut the weather barrier. That can be difficult. Then a block is cut to fit inside the hole that has been made. Seal the edges with a good caulk material, silicone is great but remember that it does not take paint or stain.

A really good install will have a drip strip on the upper edge and will have a lip cut in the rear bottom face of the block to lap over the siding.

Sorry, no pictures , but you could try a search for "Norm Abram mounting light fixture on lapsiding" Several years ago I saw him show how to do this when the wall has been sided already.

Using blocks lessens the possibility of water making its way in behind the fixture.

I have used blocks like this for light fixtures, outlets, hose bibs, etc. with lap siding for years. When doing new siding, install any such blocks and install the trim at corners, doors and windows first, then do the siding.

Borrego
# Posted: 13 Aug 2018 11:30

Quoting: ICC
If the wall has been sided already then the best solution is to cut out a square or rectangle through the siding, trying not to cut the weather barrier. That can be difficult. Then a block is cut to fit inside the hole that has been made. Seal the edges with a good caulk material, silicone is great but remember that it does not take paint or stain.

+ 1 This is how I do it on custom remodels...there are good sealants at Home Depot that are part silicone and are paintable

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 13 Aug 2018 16:02

Thanks, that approach makes a lot of sense. How do you handle the junction box? Mounted to the block?

ICC
# Posted: 13 Aug 2018 17:52

Quoting: NorthwoodsGuy
How do you handle the junction box? Mounted to the block?

I've mounted the electrical box to the wall sheathing and used a hole saw to make a hole in the block for the box to stick through and I've also mounted a shallow box on the block. Caulk the cable perforation through the wall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.