Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Kitchen/bathroom addition
Brian Ray
# Posted: 15 Aug 2018 13:41

Hello all,

Recently started a kitchen/bathroom addition to our 12’X20’ cabin. The first image is a rough sketch of the 20’ side.
The second image is a rough sketch of the 8’X16’ addition against the 20’ cabin side.

I already have the foundation in place and the floor framed in. The walls will be easy enough, it’s the roof design I’m struggling with. The two rooms will be divided equally, so I was thinking about a wall a couple feet taller than the others to divide the two rooms and use as the ridge for rafters.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Brian
Cabin 20' side
Cabin 20' side
Addition
Addition

rockies
# Posted: 15 Aug 2018 17:27

Yes, you could run a wall down the middle of the room and use it as a bearing support wall. I trust you have beams and supports in the floor under that spot to transfer the roof load down to the ground?

As an aside, why do the two roof planes not meet at the ridge on the original cabin? Is there a small vertical wall there?

Brian Ray
# Posted: 15 Aug 2018 19:00

Thanks for the reply rockies

Quoting: rockies
I trust you have beams and supports in the floor under that spot to transfer the roof load down to the ground?

I do have an additional beam under that spot just for this purpose.

why do the two roof planes not meet at the ridge on the original cabin?

Originally, this was a 10'X12' cabin with a sloped shed roof. I added another 10'X12' box to it with a shed roof, I'm happy with how it turned out. Image below.
cabin_peak.jpg
cabin_peak.jpg

rockies
# Posted: 16 Aug 2018 17:40

The way your drawing looks right now, it looks like you are building an addition that is narrower than the original cabin and planning on butting the new roofs into the gable end of the old cabin. Just keep the new roofs at the same heights and slopes as the old roofs and increase the heights of the exterior walls to meet the underside of the new roofs. You'll wind up with deeper overhangs on the addition but everything will look tied together.

Brian Ray
# Posted: 17 Aug 2018 12:47

Just keep the new roofs at the same heights and slopes as the old roofs and increase the heights of the exterior walls to meet the underside of the new roofs.

I think this is the way I'll go. In hindsight, I should have just built the floor the same width as the old cabin. My original plan was to build a sloped shed roof off the gable of the old cabin, then realized I wouldn't have enough pitch. Just poor planning on my part.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.