Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Skirting - Corragated Metal
cbgant5
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 12:36

Has anyone used corrugated metal for skirting around your cabin?

ICC
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 14:24 - Edited by: ICC

I have used metal roofing panels as skirting, not corrugated, but the ribbed type with flat areas between ribs. I get it from a roofing company near me that has the machines to roll the panels from spools of continuous flat pre-finished roofing steel. They can cut the panels to any length. There is a minimum length but it is fairly short, under 20 inches is all I remember. That way the panels can be placed with the ribs vertical and it looks better, IMO. Also there is no need to cut except maybe one or two places where the panel must be narrowed or a cutout for a pipe or something.

darz5150
# Posted: 30 Aug 2018 23:09

Just recently replaced our wood skirting with corrugated sheet metal. Worked great. Very durable and you have to worry about dings and scratches from a weed eater or whatever, like you would with any painted roof metal or vinyl.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 31 Aug 2018 07:36

What are you guys using as frame work behind your skirting?
What about ground contact?

I've thought about a bed of gravel or crushed concrete for the bottom of the skirting to st down on but didn't want to created a dam if any water got under the cabin

ICC
# Posted: 31 Aug 2018 10:39

PT wood framing that almost touches the ground. That avoids frost heave from causing any problems. A shallow depression was dug around the perimeter to allow a 24" wide length of hardware cloth to be stapled to the lower PT 2x4. That wire mesh was bent down and then laid horizontal in the depression, leading away from the wall, then recovered with about 6 inches of dirt. That keeps rodents out. The metal edge of the roofing panel material touches the earth in most places. The surrounding earth is graded to drain away from the perimeter.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 31 Aug 2018 11:23

Just did this for our garage. 30" tall pieces of roofing material to match the roof. Put in a french drain using 2" gravel with perforated pipe on the uphill side to help with drainage away from the side of the garage. I just put the metal over the existing siding on the garage.

darz5150
# Posted: 31 Aug 2018 13:04

I attached mine to the rim joist. Dug a small trench 3 or 4 inches deep. Backfilled with crushed gravel. And also put 2 feet of gravel around the cabin.
0831181150.jpg
0831181150.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Sep 2018 11:23

Good idea...I may use it at the cabin.. Just so y'all know, there is a great product I've used for fencing that comes non-galvanized and rusts nicely over time. Hard to cut though.......

https://www.cortenroofing.com/

ICC
# Posted: 2 Sep 2018 16:22

Cool stuff Borrego. Thare are many different things I have seen built from weathered steel but I have not seen a supplier that could supply a DIY'er.. They use a special alloy that surface rusts and the rust stays in place as a protective layer. That way the rusting stops, unlike regular steel where the rusts flakes off and then more steel rusts, until the steel is all rust. Used a lot for bridges.

rockies
# Posted: 2 Sep 2018 17:20

The main problem with enclosing the area under a raised cabin is you seal it up so well that you effectively turn it into a crawlspace. This can trap a lot of heat and moisture under the cabin, creating an environment that is well suited to growing mushrooms.

You might consider using a metal product that is more like a vent screen for soffits and putting an insect screen behind it to allow air to circulate under the cabin.

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Sep 2018 17:36

Quoting: ICC
Cool stuff Borrego. Thare are many different things I have seen built from weathered steel but I have not seen a supplier that could supply a DIY'er

Yeah, they are great! Pretty inexpensive really too, and shipping anywhere.....on their site somewhere they have pics of ranch houses out west with this as siding and roofing....great look (If that's the look you want

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.