Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Chimney Pipe Identification
fairscott99
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 08:59

Just purchased a cottage in NW Ontario and the cabin has a chimney pipe installed but no stove, stove pipe or chimney cap.

I'm looking to identify the chimney pipe brand so that I can find a cap and adapter to black stove pipe. Anyone have thoughts on what I am looking at?

One photo is of the top of the chimney pipe outside and the others are from the bottom of the pipe in the cabin. Thanks for the help.

fairscott99
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 09:04

Trying to attach photos here.
External chimney
External chimney

fairscott99
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 09:04 - Edited by: fairscott99

This is the second photo.
Internal chimney 1
Internal chimney 1

fairscott99
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 09:05 - Edited by: fairscott99

Here is the third photo
Internal chimney 2
Internal chimney 2

Greenland South
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 10:48

You may have a few more issues with that install than you think. I would thoroughly clean the chimney to check for any damage before going any further.
How is the chimney supported? I don't see a support in your photo. What is the clearance to combustibles from the chimney? 2" is usually the requirement depending on brand of course.
My advice as a WETT certified inspector is to go to the WETT site and find a professional close to your location. https://www.wettinc.ca

fairscott99
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 11:34

I'm going to be back up this weekend and will take some more photos. Appreciate the help.

snobdds
# Posted: 5 Sep 2018 12:10

It looks like a selkirk brand chimney pipe. Just installed one in my cabin a few weekends ago.

fairscott99
# Posted: 6 Sep 2018 09:12

Thanks for the feedback. Been doing some more research and it sounds like it is probably a Selkirk (Metalbestos) chimney. I'm going to grab some more photos of the full chimney this weekend and appreciate the advice.

slatecreek
# Posted: 6 Sep 2018 12:52

If it's heavy chimney pipe (the type that has a poured refactory between the stainless pipe walls), it could be Security Chimneys brand. I have it on my wood stove at home and love it. Outside of the pipe is usually warm to the touch. Here's the link : http://securitychimneys.com/

Rickant
# Posted: 18 Sep 2018 06:29

I have a similar issue - and beware of wett certification. When we purchased our cabin the wett stove was wett certified. I had it cleaned the other day and they pointed pointed out all of the deficiencies. To start I need a 2 foot extension to the chimney - so I echo the question - how do you tell what brand it is? It is double walled factory chimney. It was also pointed out that the chimney does not have 2 inch clearance from joists (although there was mention of warping in the joist) and the stove does not have 14" clearance from walls. It is on a raised hearth in a corner. All that to say that to be a wett inspector, you need to pass a course. Doesn't guarantee a thing, most people are competent but not all. Now to meet code i have to move the chimney 1.5 inches, move the stove out by adding elbows to the flue pipe and extend the hearth by 18 inches... Yikes.

So... How do you identify the brand of chimney? I figure I will try to tackle that first.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.