Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Question about the width of rim board
socceronly
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 14:52 - Edited by: socceronly

I was looking at framing the base/floor and I noticed some people use a single 2x for a rim board, and I also saw this LSL one pictured below.

What does the bottom of your 2x wall nail into? Are you supposed to hit the joists?

Would seem like something thicking at would be better.
LSL Rim Board
LSL Rim Board

Borrego
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 16:00

That's fine, you just nail into the single joist.....and the plywood sheathing of course....

socceronly
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 16:48

Ic. I would have thought you would want a thicker rim board so the bottom plate of the wall rested on that.

I guess the joists do that job.

rockies
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 17:42 - Edited by: rockies

It depends on whether you have any point loads from posts or not. Usually in small cabins there are at least two posts (under the ends of the ridge beam) so the rim board would have to be thicker underneath them but for the rest of the cabin a single rim board should be fine.

As for the picture you included I personally dislike using "I" joists. I've read that they will eventually turn into mush should they get wet, and I would consider using plywood for the subfloor instead of OSB (and PT plywood for underneath the joists should your cabin be built on piers).

Oh, and use deeper joists than what's called for in code. More room for insulation (leave a 2" gap between the top of the insulation layer and the underside of the subfloor sheathing).

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 17:49

Quoting: socceronly
I was looking at framing the base/floor and I noticed some people use a single 2x for a rim board, and I also saw this LSL one pictured below.

What does the bottom of your 2x wall nail into? Are you supposed to hit the joists?

Would seem like something thicking at would be better.

I'm with rockies, stay away from strand or chip board.
Once plywood is laid down for flooring, wall nails into that, outer edge will nail into rim joist. But keep in mind, your siding will extend down past the bottom wall plate and over the rim joist to a few inches past the rim joist. Its all tied together well once all the nailing is done on the siding/sheeting.

socceronly
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 17:49

Thanks Rockies.

rockies
# Posted: 7 Oct 2018 18:13

"But keep in mind, your siding will extend down past the bottom wall plate and over the rim joist"

I think what Toyota means is that once you have built your exterior walls, stood them up and nailed the base plate through the subfloor sheathing and into the rim board and joists you should attach the wall sheathing to the wall studs starting at the bottom of the rim board.

That way the sheathing helps lock the wall to the floor system and results in a much more stable structure.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 00:01 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: rockies
I think what Toyota means is...

Bingo, no way is that wall separating from floor or rim joist once its all tied together with sheating. Just remember, dont order 8 foot siding, get it in 9 feet. You can get it in any length over 8 feet, but at a higher cost. Dont cheap out here and use Z flashing 12" from the top of the wall on the outside because you bought 8 foot siding, its look awful and it weakens the wall. I have seen this too often.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.