Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Metal Roofing Fasteners
Srollins
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 14:58

Hello all,

I was wondering with metal roof material such as what you would find at Home Depot or Lowes the panels get installed using exposed fasteners with a rubber gasket. I'm thinking of going with this however im concerned the sun will dry rot the gasket any ideas. And please dont say go with the roof system that hides the fasters like standing seam. Not in budget , just wondering if anyone has had success in using this and what you did to protect the rubber washer from the UV rays?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 15:10

I imagine they are built for this, if tightened properly, the rubber remains under the washer. You could also put a membrane on the underlayment or sheating too, this will make it water tight. Use a fat screw and a longer one, ie 1 inch or so.

Srollins
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 15:52

Oh I got you use a screw with a larger washer to sort of shield the rubber gasket from the sun. I did install a sticky on one side Firestone ice/water shield over my T&G so this may work and like you said if the rubber gets dry rot which I would imagine it would take a while the Ice /water shield would stop anything from getting inside, another thought was to caulk the screw heads after installation? but unless you use clear i dont think it would turn out too well. Like you said the system is designed for this type of installation a roofer told me to just take your time with the fasteners not too tight or you will crush the gasket just snug to seat the washer a bit.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Oct 2018 18:39

My roofing supplier, local guy, sells a screw I have not seen before, but then I don't look anywhere else anymore. The washer is cupped deeply enough that when the screw is tightened down the cup stops the screw and squishes the neoprene washer just enough to seal. Sunlight never hits the neoprene tho it still gets good and hot from conduction.
kc0jgRIY_o.jpg
kc0jgRIY_o.jpg

Srollins
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 16:18

very cool I like that!!

Malamute
# Posted: 20 Oct 2018 18:30 - Edited by: Malamute

Those look like the normal screws for metal roofing.

They spec different type/size screws depending on what material the screws are going intp below the metal. OSB takes the fatter screws, type S, and with the 5/16 head I believe. Screws for going into actual wood and for real plywood (not OSB) are supposed to use the skinnier screws with the 1/4" heads (as shown in the image above). Theres a spec for how long they want the screws in the sheathing. Ive used Fabral and one other make. Check their site, or whatever make of metal you get and see what they spec for screws. Many people, even that sell the stuff, dont have a clue what the correct fasteners are.

And yes, the cupped washer is just supposed to start compressing, but not flatten out when properly torqued.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.