Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation Advice?
mojo
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 13:31

Hi all, First post.

I'm closing on 5 acres in Northern NH next week. I'm planning to build this cabin on the lot in spring, but I've been wracking my brain on the foundation:

https://jamaicacottageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/16x30VermontCottageOptionB. pdf?x74439

Spec sheets says gravel foundation. Certainly would be the easiest and cheapest option, but don't want issues down the road....ounce of prevention sort of thing.

Build site details:
- On a lightly sloping hillside
- I could level the cabin footprint with a few hours of equipment work, or
- Could pour piers to level.
- Land is 3,000 feet up on the White Mountains, so VERY deep frost line = VERY deep piers.
- Soil drains like a sieve...sandy top soil and buried boulders underneath (with many poking up to surface in some spots).
- Boulders would possibly make digging holes for piers a nightmare.
- Remote enough that I wouldn't want to build up the driveway to get a cement truck in there.

Seeing as I'm in brainstorming phase, I'd love some input to save myself the most money and the least headaches going forward.

mojo
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 13:34 - Edited by: mojo

I should note that I'm standing on the build site when I took this photo. The ground is not sloping nearly as much as the area in the foreground.

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 14:13

What a beautiful view. I had a 10x20 cabin on skids set on 8 inches of gravel. Now with the extension it is 18x20 and I moved it a little and set it on 8 inches of gravel and built a box around it from 6x6 pressure treated lumber. Before extension it was sitting for 2 years and I had no problems. It did heave a little in the winter but the windows and doors worked properly. The drainage was good to. Now for the new gravel pad I spend a few hundres dollars, much cheaper than piers or concrete pad. On gravel you can always jack it up and level if needed and if it is so remote like you say think about the cost. I'm not a fan of piers because I have seen many people mess it up very badly. I know if done right they will last forever tho.

snobdds
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 16:03

piers done right...never a problem with them. You have to do it right and be able to spread the weight out.
sono_tubes_2.jpg
sono_tubes_2.jpg
foundation_2.jpg
foundation_2.jpg
foundaton.jpg
foundaton.jpg

Princelake
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 17:59

Snobdds I was looking at my options for doing footings and I was thinking of how you did those.
Did you pour that square pad first then pour your sonotube?
What was your process and easiest way without blow out?

rockies
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 18:13

I would suggest screw piles. A small machine comes out to the site and screws the piles into the ground. They are engineered to support the weight required.

They go in very quickly and can work around boulders, etc. Techno Metal Post is one company, there may be others in your area.

https://www.technometalpost.com/en-US/

Princelake
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 18:44

I'm on exposed bedrock. I was going to pour right on the rock

snobdds
# Posted: 11 Oct 2018 23:09

Quoting: Princelake
Snobdds I was looking at my options for doing footings and I was thinking of how you did those.
Did you pour that square pad first then pour your sonotube?
What was your process and easiest way without blow out?

it's all one monolithic pour. The snotube only extends half way into the box. Its pinned with rebar from the inside. If you look in the background, you'll see a lot of rock. That is old glacial deposits. The box's only go down about a foot before its on the rock. It's was recommend by our engineer to put these in for their ability to hold the weight and act as a solid footing. We've had no issues with these.

mojo
# Posted: 12 Oct 2018 09:54

Quoting: rockies
I would suggest screw piles. A small machine comes out to the site and screws the piles into the ground. They are engineered to support the weight required.

They go in very quickly and can work around boulders, etc. Techno Metal Post is one company, there may be others in your area.

https://www.technometalpost.com/en-US/

Brilliant idea. Thanks, I'll look into it!

Mike 870
# Posted: 13 Oct 2018 22:53

Given what sounds like some pretty tough site challenges, I'd build small. Easier to haul in building materials, less severe the consequences if your foundation turns out to be inadequate. I'm on a similarly challenging build site (not 3,000 ft though).

Princelake
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 08:24

Snobdds so when you build your form you have the sonotube go into the pad so theres cardboard left in the form!?!? Or what I'm seeing is a square form then you put a top piece of plywood on it with a hole on it for the sonotube?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 13:33

I gather with the top over the square pad, he has set the tube in just to the underside of the wooden top, making for a single pour.

snobdds
# Posted: 16 Oct 2018 16:36

The snotube is about 6 inches into the box, Cardboard and all. As long as the foundation pier stays in tack and no air gets to the cardboard, it will be entombed forever with no worries.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.