Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Metal Shed Roof
paulz
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 07:10 - Edited by: paulz

Just as I'm finishing the (roll) roof on my new leftovers shed..

I have a second (now third) shed that was on my property when I bought it. Yesterday I fell through the rotting roof. The rafters are still fine. Thinking a metal roof may be the way to go.

Got yet another shed a friend gave me when it was in the way of his remodel. The metal roof panels it has runs longways, opposite of all the metal roof info I'm reading. No sheathing or purlins, just screwed to the rafters. Maybe it's just one of those cheapo prefab sheds but it seems to work, in fact the contents stays very dry and stable. The panels are not sealed at the ends, I guess it breathes that way.

Can I put a metal roof on the old shed the same way or do I put down purlins and run the panels the conventional way?

(The photo of the old shed brings back memories, dated 2011. I had recently bought the property, that was the only structure. I used to sit in that shed, cold an alone, wondering what I was gonna do..)
IMG_8372.JPG
IMG_8372.JPG
0404171159.jpg
0404171159.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 10:31

It's pretty common around here, for uninsulated farm buildings to attach to purlins. Its a small building so why not go to the rafters? Part of the roof sheathing is to hold the structure together, make it more rigid.
But a building that small?

amazing trees there

paulz
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 11:46

Thanks creeky. When you say go to the rafters do you mean run the panels perpendicular to the rafters (like the other shed pictured) which I was hoping to do since it would be much easier? I just though it might trap more debris that way but doesn't seem to bother the other shed.

Yeah, I got me a forest. Which is why I got no solar...
0404171255.jpg
0404171255.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 13:27 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You know, with those large trees, falling branches, maybe just sheet it with 1/2" plywood, lay down some 30# felt and screw panels down. Will make it branch resistant, mush stronger for winds too. Its a small enough area, the cost will be more, but not too much.
And as creeky said, real nice stand of timber you have there.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 14:55 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks TMT. Funny you should mention that..these redwoods average 175', and they drop branches, which are pretty much spears, all over the place, most from 100' or better. The first damage I noticed was to this shed, when I came out one day and one was poking through the roof about a foot. Right through the then decent 1/2" ply. Since then two have hit my cabin but just cracked the plywood. Don't have much wind to speak of, trees block it all.

Anyhoo, what I was doing yesterday was putting some fresh tar paper over the old sheathing when I fell through and made a hole about the size of my waist. Maybe what you say, resheet it with ply, paper and metal. But again, would it matter which way the metal panels go?

Here's a shot from a month ago, had my wife's 50th birthday party at the cabin. Those trees are sitting downhill 50-100' below the deck height.
IMG_4058.JPG
IMG_4058.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2018 20:08

Quoting: paulz
But again, would it matter which way the metal panels go?

Well, do you get snow loads? The snow wont slide off, nor will debris from the trees, they may pile up. I suppose one could run it horizontally, but its not designed for it, but I imagine it would work??

Gary O
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 09:54

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
You know, with those large trees, falling branches, maybe just sheet it with 1/2" plywood, lay down some 30# felt and screw panels down. Will make it branch resistant, mush stronger for winds too. Its a small enough area, the cost will be more, but not too much

Yup
and lay the panels vertical
come flurries
no worries

our well house pic

paulz
# Posted: 15 Oct 2018 12:17

No snow for me but lots of wood duff. So sheathing and vertical panels it shall be.

Thanks guys.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.