Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New to the site and need some help (cheap siding for the cabin)
neb
# Posted: 20 Feb 2011 17:07

I am in the process of building a 10x10 cabin in the Yellowstone breaks. Last fall I set the posts all 9 of them set 3 ft deep. I will have this shack of the ground from 1 foot to 3 feet on the other side. My question is I would like a cheap siding. I would like to tin so I have no maintenance but what would do advise and have some look to it. This cabin is at a place where everything has to be packed in but not impossisble. I carried 6 foot 10 inch around logs for the footings. I do have all the lumber and windows but not sure about the outside siding. Thanks and looks like a very neat site.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 13:38

Tin siding would be fairly light to carry, w/gloves. Local corrugated roof panels are about 75 cents a sqft. or about $24 for 4x8 coverage of normal sheet goods. Smartside and Hardi panel are about the same cost. I think T-111 around here is more. The 2x8 metal would be easier/lighter to haul in than the 4x8 sheets.

Gary O
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 10:27 - Edited by: Gary O

Hey neb
This is your quote from another of your threads, I just didn't want to hijack the subject there

"I got a lot of plans with 4 large windows and a small loft. I just need to figure out how to cut birds mouth cuts for the rafters tha sit on the top plate. I want an open rafter with a 2x10 main beam and tie rafters into that. I will have to shoot from the hip and build as I go."

If you really want to go old style and cut bird's mouths, here's an excerpt from my journal.
My experiences are a ways off from the MtnDon genre, but nonetheless, would like to share;

I have chosen a 58° pitch. I determined this from an on line calculation (http://blocklayer.mobi/RiseRun.aspx) don't ask me how I found it, but what a grand site. I entered the run (half the width of the cabin, 5 feet) and the rise (the height I wanted from the top of the wall, 8 feet), and it determined the degree of pitch for me. I've been told this is a trig function...no wonder I couldn't readily figure it out........
The bird's mouth was another poser for me, but in direct relation to the degree of pitch (so no short cut guess work on the pitch, OK?).

The simple key, once you determine the pitch (say 58°) you just find the remainder of 90° for the other cut (32°).....Wow! Duh!. Once you think about it, it's a no brainer. You just need to create a right angle (if you are using square or rectangular boards.....if not, put this book down right now, flush, wipe first, and proceed to your doctorate in structural engineering).
BIRDS_MOUTH.JPG
BIRDS_MOUTH.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 12:27

As long as you make your roof such that it covers the siding and keeps the water off (2' overhang), pretty much anything works for siding. I like live edge planks myself, if you have the means to cut them.

Rafters are quite a bit easier than folks think. Install the ridge, install the plate, lay a board up where you want it, use a straight edge at, say, 1", mark a horiziontal and veritical line on both ends of the rafter where you want it fit, then cut it. If the rafters are all the same, use this as a pattern.

Here are some photos of cabin rafters. Had to scribe every one different at the plate so they would fit the log.

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2009/10/rafter-mania.html

neb
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 20:01

GaryO and fpw thanks for the help. You both gave me some info to get started. Like you said if I get one cut out it will be th epattern for the rest. Thanks again for the help.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.