Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Metal sides and roof
neb
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 21:14

I see a lot of posts on issues with metal siding and metal roof. The question is if I metaled all the cabin but do not want to finish the inside would it be ok. I do plan on some sort of heat but this cabin will not be used for year around stay. I would heat for a few days at a time.

Just
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 22:16

I would at the very least us some tyi vec or house rap under the steal we did a shed that way and have had good luck,, no drips ..
dosen't cost much + helps with drafts!!!

neb
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 22:30

That would be no problem and was planning on it anyway. Thanks for the reply.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 07:13

my barn is metal roof ( white) and sides( red) , and the woodburner in one wing, does the trick on warmth.....but it not as tight as a cabin should be. so no drips..........i like having to never do any maint. on my barn with the metal top and sides.

neb
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 19:21

Quoting: turkeyhunter
..........i like having to never do any maint. on my barn with the metal top and sides.

Exactly. I will not finish the inside of my cabin or what ever you my want to call it. My hide away will be a place of simplicity and a place to enjoy nature.

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 18:59

Do you get much rain? I spent the night in a metal roof cabin one time and a storm came in. No sleeping. It was really, REALLY loud. Just my experience.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 20:39 - Edited by: MtnDon

Noise from the rain depends on how the roof is done to a large extent. Screwing the metal down tight over roofing paper on OSB or plywood sheathing greatly eliminates the drumming effect. Insulation in the rafter bays helps too. Our cabin with a metal roof has a ceiling with R40+ of cellulose. We hardly hear the rain at all.

A metal roof installed on purlins, on the other hand, is a whole different kettle of fish. Just another reason to install metal roofs over sheathing. It makes for a better roof.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Mar 2011 20:56

We also have a metal roof. When it rains, we don't hear anything until we go to bed and the house is really quiet. What we do hear is a very faint, soft and peaceful sound. We love it. *S*

Esiquil Lara
# Posted: 22 Mar 2011 10:09

Hi there,

The metal expands and contracts with temperature fluctuations. The result of this is that vinyl siding cannot be sealed at wall penetrations like windows and doors. Wind-driven water can be forced into these gaps around the unsealed window and door trims, as well as into the overlapping ends of the siding pieces. In addition, the installation of vinyl siding requires the use of several pre-made trim pieces. These trim pieces have limitations in their applications, and they cannot possibly be bent, trimmed, and formed to meet every conceivable installation requirement.

Regards,
- Esiquil Lara.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.