Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Artistic touches on your cabin
sebastien1982
# Posted: 25 Mar 2019 07:31

Just wondering if anyone has done artistic touches on their cabin? I just finished this balcony with locally harvested Mountain Laurel wood.
handmade balcony
handmade balcony

Eddy G
# Posted: 25 Mar 2019 12:50

That’s really cool. I’d like to incorporate more of that type of thing in our cabin...I’ve cut and stored a lot of small trees and branch’s for future projects...Hopefully I’ll get to them this summer

rockies
# Posted: 25 Mar 2019 19:51

That looks good, just make sure that no opening is larger than 4" across so a child doesn't get their head caught in it.

Malamute
# Posted: 29 Mar 2019 12:02 - Edited by: Malamute

Ive always loved the long flat surfaces left from hand peeling the logs with a drawknife. Laying in bed looking up with the light coming from different angles at various times, the drawknife marks on the purlins and ridge stand out nicely, as do the wall logs at times im upright and looking at different parts.

The corners of saddle notches, and the general look of full round logs have always caught my attention.

I like the way natural wain edge planks look when used for door and window bucks. I had a mill cut 3" thick x 12-14" wide planks with the natural log edges. They look cool they way they vary in width and edge textures.

Also love the way handbuilt rough cut doors look.

I put old animal skulls, (found a buffalo skull at the dump once), antlers, old horse tack bits, and general interesting old junk on the porch and outside walls
door
door
front
front
inside
inside
cabin by butte
cabin by butte

Rickkrus
# Posted: 29 Mar 2019 20:26

How did you attach the branches. To the beams?

Malamute
# Posted: 30 Mar 2019 11:37

Just found this pic, my yard gate.

I use the white Christmas lights as porch and yard lights all year, they make it fun to see my place from a ways off when coming home after dark. The lights are crazy cheap at walmart after Christmas.
Christmas lights
Christmas lights

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.