Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Furnace building / bumpout
KinAlberta
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 12:03 - Edited by: KinAlberta

So adding a propane furnace to either of our old cabins would majorly compromise any place I could put them. (Both pre-1960s builds, built on blocks, insulated walls and ceiling but not floor. One propane wall heater, otherwise old smoky coal/wood stoves and heaters.)

So... I’ve thought that maybe just putting one in a heavily insulated shed / box next to the cabin and running a vent through the side wall might do the job. Not efficient but it’s not like we are out there all that much to worry about a few more bucks in heating costs. (I’d even go electric if I could.)

ICC
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 18:05 - Edited by: ICC

Search for "floor furnace". Empire and Williams make some I know. There are a few older homes around me that have used them since the 50's. Some do not use a fan at all. They usually use a 4" vent pipe for the exhaust; run up the nearest exterior wall.

Of course you need to be high enough off the ground

darz5150
# Posted: 6 Apr 2019 22:39

Could you install an attic furnace? We had one years ago in a garage with a low pitch roof.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.